Scotch Eggs for #SRC

Scotch Eggs via Kudos Kitchen By Renee

I've been having a love affair with all things eggs lately, so when I was assigned to the blog Life On Food for April's Secret Recipe Club (#SRC), I just knew in an instant that I had to choose Emily's recipe for Scotch Eggs!

It was back in early April when I first visited Emily's blog and had chosen to make her recipe for Scotch Eggs. Since I'm a group D member and we always post on the last Monday of every month, I found and filed the recipe away in my head, thinking of it every so often and looking forward to the day I'd be making it.

Little did I know(and unbeknownst to my conscious mind), this method for stuffing a hard boiled egg inside of something else apparently inspired me to enter the 47th annual Pillsbury Bake-Off with this fun and easy recipe that I've named "Breakfast Bundle Surprise." Here, I'll give you a little sneak peek at my entry. Shhhh...Don't tell! Someday I'll share my recipe and process for making these with you, if I'm not contacted by Pillsbury to compete for the million dollars first (ha ha) but for right now it's all in the hands of that little pudgy dough boy!


But, let's get back to the Scotch Eggs and their delicious flavor and ease of preparation...

Did you know that Scotch Eggs originated in the UK in 1738 and since that time they've been widely know as picnic food items and are frequently sold individually in markets, corner stores and motorway service stations (aka gas stations). Here in the states, Scotch Eggs are popular menu items in British Style pubs and restaurants and are usually served along with gravy, dipping sauces or dressings. I did not make a gravy or dipping sauce for my Scotch Eggs, but looking at these photos I can see them just crying out for a little brown gravy! The taste, however, is superb just as they are!

Scotch Eggs Recipe via Kudos Kitchen By Renee

SCOTCH EGGS    {PRINT THIS RECIPE}
Makes: 8 eggs       Prep Time: 10 minutes     Cook Time: 15 minutes

8 hard boiled eggs
2 pounds pork breakfast sausage
1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
2 teaspoons ground mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
4 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
2 cups fine breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
canola oil for frying

-In a large bowl, mix the pork sausage, salt, pepper, paprika, thyme, mustard, garlic powder and parsley until well combined.
-Place the breadcrumbs, salt and pepper into a shallow dish. Stir to combine.
-Wet hands with water (to prevent excessive sticking) and form about 3/4 cup of the sausage mixture into a 4" flattened disc.
-Place an egg in the center of the sausage disc and use your hands to form the pork sausage up and over the entire egg.
-Gently place the sausage egg into the prepared breadcrumbs.
-Continue with the remaining eggs.
-In a large skillet, over medium/high heat, add enough oil to cover the bottom.
-Carefully add the Scotch Eggs into the skillet and fry on all sides (about 2-3 minutes per side) to a deep golden brown.
-Reduce the heat to low, cover and allow the sausage to cook through for about 5 minutes.
-Drain on paper towels and serve them hot, over hash brown parsley potatoes.


Thank you so much for the delicious recipe, Emily and for the wonderful inspiration! I really appreciate it!
Hungry for more fantastic recipes from the Secret Recipe Club group D members? Click on the links below and prepare to hear your stomach growl. LOL


   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   


Until we eat again,




Labels: , , , , ,