Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew

Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew Recipe

This is the time of the year that everyone is looking for a hot and hearty soup or stew that doesn't need to be fussed over. One that you can start in the morning in the slow cooker and that will feel like a nice warm hug at the end of a long, cold day.  This recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew is just the ticket for you! In other words...your wish is my command!!

I started with a recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook called "Year Round Slow Cooker Recipes" and then went crazy with the adaptations. So much so that my version is nothing like the original but it won a two thumbs up rating from my son Greg, whom I though would stick his nose up at it because of the beans and spinach I added. I was pleasantly surprised...and so was he :)

Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew Recipe



SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND SWEET POTATO STEW      {PRINT THIS RECIPE}
Serves:  6-8         Prep Time: 10 minutes           Cook Time: 8-9 hours

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1" cubes
1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1  32 ounce carton low-sodium chicken stock
1 1/2 cups water
1 can (10 ounces) Ro-Tel tomatoes
1 cup lentils (I used red)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (1 large lime)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons smoked cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano, that has been crushed in your hand.
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoons black pepper
1 store bought rotisserie chicken (or 1 pound leftover chicken), skinned and cut unto bit sized chunks
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups fresh spinach or 1 cup frozen spinach (thawed, and squeezed dry)

-In a large slow cooker, add the first 16 ingredients and cook on high for 6-7 hours. Sir occasionally if you're able.
-Reduce the cooker to low and stir in the cooked chicken, butter and spinach.
-Continue to cook an additional 1-2 hours (or until you can no longer stand it) and serve.


This is one hearty stew that is a perfectly healthy and comforting meal at the end of a long, freezing cold winter's day. I served mine with a nice loaf of herbed Italian bread (recipe coming soon) and it won rave reviews from my family. WOOT!   Grab a spoon, it's dinner time!

Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew Recipe

Now, lets see how astute you are in paying attention to the details...anybody know what color shirt I was wearing when I took these stew photos? Leave your guess in the comment section :)

As a compliment to this hot and hearty stew recipe, you might want to pair it with a nice cup of piping hot coffee or cocoa. I hope this recipe and these cups helped to warm your heart just a little! Stay warm my friends!

Frankenmuth, MI painted Christmas coffee mugs
Please contact me if there is ever anything I can paint for you! Custom orders are always welcome!

Kudos Kitchen By ReneƩ ~ Where food and art collide on a regular basis!

Until we eat again,




















Labels: , , , , , , ,