Smokey Chicken Paprikash Casserole

The addition of smoked paprika adds a warm and smokey flavor to this Hungarian classic.
Smokey Chicken Paprikash Casserole

Casseroles have always been a favorite of mine to cook for the family. I love that they can be prepared ahead and then reheated as needed. This Chicken Paprikash Casserole is one of our favorites!

Smokey Chicken Paprikash Casserole

This recipe is one that I found, and adapted, in a cookbook in my collection called "The Casserole Queens Make-A-Meal Cookbook," written by Crystal Cook and Sandy Pollock.

Smokey Chicken Paprikash Casserole

The changes I made to the original recipe was that I altered the cooking procedure from what was in the book by cutting and cooking the chicken ahead of time. Then I  mixed all the cooked ingredients together, instead of laying the raw chicken on top of the casserole and baking it in the oven until the chicken was fully cooked.

I also used smoked paprika instead of sweet paprika I used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and I added some dried thyme to elevate and compliment the flavors a tiny bit more. I was very happy with the results of this dish, and so was my family.

This casserole also freezes nicely (as most casseroles do). So if you have leftovers that you'd like to save for another time, portion them out into freezer safe dishes and stash them away until you need a quick, delicious, home cooked meal when you don't feel like cooking.

Serves:  8-10 (freezes well for leftovers)    Prep Time: 20 minutes     Bake Time: 15-20 minutes

6 slices of bacon, cut into 1" pieces
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
1 large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and medium chopped
2 ribs celery, medium chopped
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
½ cup Greek yogurt
¼ cup all purpose flour
2 cups milk, warmed slightly
9x13 casserole dish
cooking spray

-Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

-Cook the egg noodles according to the package directions, Drain and set aside.

-In a large skillet over medium/high heat, cook the bacon (stirring occasionally) until nearly crisp.  Reduce the heat to medium. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease and remove the bacon with a slotted spoon. Set bacon aside.

-Add the cut chicken into the pan to brown well on all sides, stirring occasionally. Stir in the salt, pepper and thyme leaves. Stir in the onions, carrots, and celery. Continue cooking until the chicken is no longer pink and the vegetables are softened.

-Add the bacon back into the skillet along with the flour. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Slowly add the warmed milk and stir until slightly thickened. Stir in the smoked paprika and the Greek yogurt. Stir in the cooked egg noodles and mix until well combined.

-Spray the casserole dish with cooking spray and spoon the egg noodle and chicken mixture evenly into the dish. Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.

-Serve hot and enjoy!

Smokey Chicken Paprikash Casserole

And now you're going to think I've completely lost my marbles because I'm going to coordinate this Smokey Chicken Paprikash Casserole with this Bill Murray Caddy Shack inspired painted coffee mug (front and back shown). There isn't a reason for it, really, except that I think it's funny, and I hope you do too.

If there is ever anything I can paint for you, from glassware to fabrics, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop on Etsy and Wazala. Custom orders are always welcome, and I will happily work and design from any photo or description you send my way!

Kudos Kitchen by Reneé ~ Where food, art, and fun collide each and every day!

Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,