Tater Tot Poutine and A Very Important Question

Tater Tot Poutine is my quick and easy take on the French-Canadian classic made with French fries, cheese curds, and brown gravy.

Tater Tot Poutine

This recipe was inspired by an appetizer we ate recently while out to dinner with my sister and brother-in-law. That night I had actually brainstormed with my sister about making poutine nachos with tortilla chips, but the idea morphed into tater tots because, well, tater tots!
Tater Tot Poutine

As I sit and try and write this post, I'm having a hard time trying to come up with something clever and interesting to say, other than "Try this, you'll like it."

And, if I'm being completely true to myself (as I always try to be), I'm not even sure what you (my readers) are looking for when you come here to visit. I assume you're like me and that you enjoy the process of cooking and baking, and, of course, trying new recipes, and eating delicious food, (but you know what they say about assuming anything).

I think you know by now that the recipes I share on this blog are the same recipes I feed my family and friends. They're the same recipes I've made (and make) for breakfast, lunch, dinner, entertaining, and just because I enjoy spending time in my kitchen. It's my zen time and the place I'm the happiest.

Tater Tot Poutine

When I first started my blog approximately 5½ years ago, it was meant as nothing more than a place for me to document my recipes with the hopes that one day my sons would be able to look back and perhaps even cook from my blog if they ever chose to. Of course, that was just a just a mom's dream, because to this day I'm fairly certain they've only looked at my blog once or twice, and that was most likely because I forced them to. LOL. True story.

Since those early days of blogging, my blog has evolved into so much more (for me) than just a place to document my recipes. I completely enjoy the creative process of the food styling and photography almost as much as I do the cooking and baking. While I know I'll never win any awards for either, the fact that I'm proud of what I produce and publish here means more to me than almost anything else I can imagine.

Tater Tot Poutine

That said, I heard someone recently say that a blog needs a specific niche to be able to accumulate more readers and followers. Simply stated, focusing one thing, one specific niche, will aid like nothing else to increase a blog's following and keep readers coming back time and again. Knowing what your audience is looking for is the holy grail of building a successful blog, and then bringing specific content that your target audience is craving is what every blogger (no matter what the topic) strives to do.

This then, leaves me to wonder then if my content here may be too broad? Cooking, baking and garnishing each post with my hand painted items just for good measure...What do you think? I'd love to hear you opinion regarding my blog, and it's content.

While you debate the question I just posed, let's return to the recipe for Tater Tot Poutine, shall we? After all, I'm getting hungry!

Tater Tot Poutine

Much to my surprise, my friend Jenny, whom I met on-line because of our shared love of food, blogging, and cookbooks, sent me two beautiful purple cast iron skillets in the mail. I'm so in love with these beautiful skillets. They mean so much to me because of my friendship with Jenny and our shared and mutual respect for cooking and recipes that I decided it would make perfect vessel to present this fun and colorful Tater Tot Poutine.

When making this recipe, I recommend using a cast iron skillet if you have one. Nothing else will give the potatoes their deep, dark, color and crunch as a cast iron skillet can. However, this recipe can also be made on a baking sheet or a casserole dish, and you'll still have fabulous results.

Serves:  6-8       Prep Time:  5 minutes      Bake Time:  30-35 minutes

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 bag frozen tater tots
salt and pepper
1 cup beef gravy (store bought or homemade)
3 ounces chopped ham
½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
½ cup shredded Swiss cheese
½ cup sliced scallions

-Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

-If using a cast iron skillet, heat skillet on preheated oven for 10 minutes.

-Brush the inside of the hot skillet (or the base of a baking sheet or casserole dish) with the oil. Add the frozen tater tots in an even layer to the pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

-Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove and top with the ham, gravy and shredded cheeses. Return to the oven until the cheeses have thoroughly melted.

-Remove the poutine from the oven and top with the scallions. Serve hot.

There, that was easy, right? Please enjoy!

Tater Tot Poutine

Tater Tot Poutine

Since my new blog goal going forward is to find out who my readers actually are, and what you're looking for when you come here... What do you think??? What are you needs regarding spending time in the kitchen? Are you looking for fast and easy recipes that will feed your family in a hurry (like the one I'm sharing today)? Are you intrigued by recipes that are more challenging and take more time and steps to prepare? Are you looking for more dessert recipes? Breakfast recipes? Dinner recipes? Bread recipes? Or have you been pleased with the variety I've already been bringing? 

I would really appreciate if you'd take a moment to give me your honest opinions here in the comment section at the end of this post. Of course, if you'd like to send me an email with your comments instead, that would be great too. I promise to read and reply to all the feedback and emails I receive, and that I will take your opinions and constructive criticism very seriously.

And now, if you don't mind, I get to coordinate my Tater Tot Poutine recipe with some of these fun tea towels that were a customer request from a few months ago. Apparently this specific ketchup brand (and products that feature it) are a fun family tradition to give as gifts to each other. Naturally I was only too happy to oblige.

Hand Painted Ketchup Tea Towels

If there is ever anything I can paint for you, from tea towels to aprons, to painted glassware, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop on Etsy. Custom orders (as shown above) are always welcome, and always encouraged. I will happily work from any photo or description you send my way.

Kudos Kitchen by Reneé  ~ Where food, art, and fun collide on a regular basis!

Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day! And thanks in advance for giving me your feedback regarding my blog content! It means a lot to me!

Labels: , , , , , ,