Sweet Chili Shrimp with Ginger and Cilantro

Sweet Chili Shrimp with Ginger and Cilantro is by far the easiest and most flavorful shrimp dish ever!

Sweet Chili Shrimp with Ginger and Cilantro

I found (and ever so slightly tweaked), this recipe from a cookbook I own called "The Chinese Takeout Cookbook" by Diana Kuan. It's "shrimply" the best recipe for homemade Mandarin-style chili shrimp I've ever made, and it only takes 15 minutes from start to dinner. Pun intended. HaHa!

Sweet Chili Shrimp with Ginger and Cilantro

The sauce for the shrimp comes together with only four ingredients. It's sweet, spicy, tangy, and with the garnish of fresh cilantro to finish the dish, it also has a mild touch of citrus flavor.

Sweet Chili Shrimp with Ginger and Cilantro

Serves:  4-6      Prep Time: 5 minutes     Cook Time: 10 minutes

2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined (I also removed the tails)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
½ cup prepared chili sauce
2 large shallots, minced
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
brown rice for serving

-Place the shrimp, cornstarch, ginger, salt and pepper in a large bowl and toss to coat thoroughly.

-In a small bowl, combine the teriyaki sauce, honey, vinegar and chili sauce.

-Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add the oil, shallots and shrimp. Cook and stir occasionally until the shrimp are pink and opaque (approximately 5-7 minutes). Turn the heat down to medium and add in the chili sauce mixture. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes until the sauce is heated through.

-Serve the shrimp and sauce over brown rice and garnish with chopped cilantro.

Sweet Chili Shrimp with Ginger and Cilantro

Luckily for me, as I'm sitting down and writing this post, I'm eating some of the leftovers of this dish for lunch. I'm a very happy girl because editing all these photos made me incredibly hungry for these shrimp again. Sure does beat a peanut butter sandwich any day of the week.

Sweet Chili Shrimp with Ginger and Cilantro

For more delicious Asian inspired dishes, please click on the following recipe titles:


Asian Inspired Pork Meatballs


Chinese Bing Bread


I'm excited to be able to coordinate this post with these adorable Asian inspired tea towels requested as a special order by a customer. I think they're the perfect compliment for this recipe.

Asian Noodle Bowl Tea Towels

Asian Noodle Bowl Tea Towel

If there is ever anything I can paint for you, from tea towels, to aprons, to glassware items, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop on Etsy. Custom orders (like this one) are always welcome and always encouraged. Together we give the gifts people remember!

Kudos Kitchen by Reneé ~ Where food, art, and fun collide on a regular basis!

Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!

Labels: , , , , , , ,