Pumpkin Sage Cornbread

A hint of pumpkin and a touch of sage makes this buttery Pumpkin Sage Cornbread a wonderful side dish for any autumn meal.

Pumpkin Sage Cornbread

Now that the weather is turning cooler and the days are getting shorter, I figure it's finally time that I dip my toes into the pumpkin pool. I held off as long as I could, but the idea of the Pumpkin Sage Cornbread kept calling my name.

Pumpkin Sage Cornbread

When it comes to cornbread, I'm not traditional, and I'm not Southern. Therefore, I like to play with my ingredients list from time to time, which led me to this particular rendition for an autumn inspired cornbread.

I tend to like my cornbread a little on the sweet side, so I always like to add a touch of sugar to the mix. I also like my cornbread a little on the moist side, so it doesn't crumble and fall into my lap before making it into my mouth. I'm crazy like that.

This particular recipe makes a softer, cake-like cornbread that has a touch of sweetness from the brown sugar and a slight aroma and taste of fresh sage that pairs nicely with the savory autumn pumpkin.

Prep Time:   10 minutes       Bake Time:   45-50 minutes

1¼ cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ cup brown sugar
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 egg
2/3 cup pumpkin pureé (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1  8" x 8" casserole dish
2 tablespoons butter, melted
baking spray

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

-In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper, baking powder and brown sugar.

-In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, vinegar, egg and pumpkin. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the flour/cornmeal mixture and mix with a wooden spoon to completely combine. Stir in the chopped sage.

-Spoon the cornbread mixture into a casserole dish that has been sprayed with baking spray. Spread the mixture evenly in the dish and bake in a preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

-Remove from oven and immediately brush the entire surface with the melted butter.

-Serving warm is best, but it's also tasty at room temperature.

Pumpkin Sage Cornbread

Pumpkin Sage Cornbread

Pumpkin Sage Cornbread

Naturally I needed something pumpkin themed to go along with this pumpkin sage cornbread, so what about this set of 4 Jack-O-Lantern wine glasses? Four cheers for pumpkin season! Are you with me?

Jack-O-Lantern Painted Wine Glasses

If there is ever anything I can paint for you, from glassware, to aprons to tea towels, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop on Etsy. Custom orders are always welcome and always appreciated. Together we give the gifts that people remember!

Kudos Kitchen by Reneé ~ Where food, art, and fun collide on a regular basis!

Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!

Labels: , , , , ,