Low Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole


Substituting cauliflower rice for white or brown rice is what makes this a Low Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole. And I promise that you'll never even miss the rice. The flavor is spot-on!


Low Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole

I'd been hearing a lot about cauliflower rice, but it took me a long time to jump on the bandwagon. Then, one night decided I'd give it a go as I played around with my idea for Lo Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole and the results were delicious. You'll never miss the rice. You have my word on that!



Low Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole

Cauliflower has got to be the most versatile of ingredients. It can be used as a substitution for so many things, such as potatoes (check out my recipe for Cauliflower and Sweet Potato Mashers), wheat products (as in pizza crust, from this recipe I found on Pop Sugar), and, of course for rice as in the recipe I'm sharing with you today.



Low Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole

Making cauliflower rice is super easy as long as you follow a few simple suggestions. All you'll need is a nice, healthy head of cauliflower cut into small florets (approximately 2"), and a food processor. I found that the smaller I cut the florets, the easier it was for my processor to turn the cauliflower into fine crumbs. The other thing I found made it easier was to not pack the processor too full. Working in smaller batches and not over stuffing was the key to my successful "ricing."


Low Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole

As a time saver, this casserole can be made ahead and refrigerated before baking and serving. If refrigerating, make sure you bring the casserole to room temperature before baking or increase the baking time by half.

LOW CARB UNSTUFFED CABBAGE CASSEROLE   {PRINT THIS RECIPE}
Serves:   6-8           Prep Time:   30 minutes            Bake Time: 30 minutes

1 head cauliflower, cut into 2" florets, and riced (in batches) in a food processor
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
½ head green cabbage, cored, and cut into shreds
1 medium onion, rough chopped (your favorite variety)
3 teaspoon salt, divided
1½ teaspoon pepper, divided
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
5-6 slices bacon, precooked and crumbled
2 pounds ground beef, browned
1½ quart casserole dish with lid
olive oil spray
shredded cheddar cheese, optional and not shown

-In a large saute pan with high sides, melt the butter and olive oil over medium/ high heat. Add the riced cauliflower and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add in the onion, shredded cabbage, precooked bacon, garlic, teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Continue sauteing until the cabbage wilts down in the pan, and all the flavors have combined (approximately 10 minutes). Remove the cabbage mixture to a large bowl and set aside.

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

-In the same large skillet, brown the ground beef over high heat until no pink remains. Stir in the remaining salt and pepper. Add the browned beef into the bowl with the cabbage mixture and stir to combine.

-Spray the casserole dish with the olive oil spray and spoon the cabbage/beef mixture evenly into the dish. Cover the casserole dish with a lid (or use foil) and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the lid, add cheese if desired (not shown), and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes.


Low Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole

If there is one thing I love to do more than cooking and baking, it's painting. My absolute favorite things to paint are aprons, with glassware coming in a not too distant third. Here are two examples of a food blogger apron and wine glass I painted for Jenni of Pastry Chef Online. They are two of my favorites, and I'm pretty sure Jenni loves them too!


Food Blogger Apron and Wine Glass

If there is ever anything I can paint for you, from aprons, to glassware, to tea towels, please don't hesitate to contact me for a quote, or visit my shop on Etsy. Custom orders (as shown) are always welcome and always encouraged. What can I paint for you?

Kudos Kitchen by Reneé ~ Where food, art, and fun collide on a regular basis!


Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,