Cinnamon Sugar Sand Dollar Cookies and a Luau

Cinnamon Sugar Sand Dollar Cookies are super easy to make and are the perfect way to celebrate summer.

Cinnamon Sugar Sand Dollar Cookies

I can't believe it's already mid-August and summer is nearly over. But there is still time to make these cookies, and I highly recommend you do.

Cinnamon Sugar Sand Dollar Cookies

Do you ever get to that point in your life where you feel the need to prioritize and refocus on the things that have become blurry in your life? That's where I find myself right now. I put so much effort and planning into last weekend's luau and pig roast that sadly everything else fell by the wayside. Including, and especially, my blog.

Happily, the party was a huge success, and everyone seemed to have a good time. Me? I think I was too exhausted to really enjoy myself after seeing to all the details. But I suppose that's part of the hazard of being the hostess. I don't know of any host or hostess who feels able to sit and relax at their own party. It just doesn't happen.

Cinnamon Sugar Sand Dollar Cookies

What I found funny was when the guys came to set up the 20 x 30 tent in our backyard, they asked  us what the occasion was? My husband and I just looked at each other, shrugged our shoulders and said, "there is none!" "We just felt like throwing a big party for our family and friends."

Here are a few photos from the luau that I hope you'll enjoy. I took a lot more photos than I remember taking that day.  I was very pleasantly surprised to find out that I didn't slack in the photo department, even though I was running on pure Adrenalin that day, with a severe case of achy, breaky back, and sore feet. LOL

Uncle Bub's Pig Roast

Before I get to the actual recipe for Cinnamon Sugar Sand Dollar Cookies, I have to give a huge shout-out to our friends Pammie and John for all their assistance in helping us decorate and put the final touches on things. We seriously couldn't have done it without them! Love you guys!!!

Yield:   approximately 4 dozen       Prep Time:  30 minutes     Bake Time:  20 minutes

2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
2 eggs, whole
2 eggs, separated (reserve the egg whites) 
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling.
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup granulated sugar
sliced almonds

-In a large bowl, cream the butter and powdered sugar. Add in the 2 whole eggs, 2 egg yolks, and vanilla Blend until well combined. Slowly blend in the salt, flour and baking powder (remember to scrape down the sides of the bowl) until a soft dough forms.

-Divide the dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap.  Freeze the dough about 20 minutes. Remove the dough from the freezer and sprinkle your rolling surface with a bit of flour. Roll each half of dough out to approximately ¼" thickness. Use a 3" round biscuit or cookie cutter to cut circles out of the dough. Place the circles onto parchment lined baking sheets. Re-roll the dough scraps and continue rolling and cutting circles. Continue the same process with the other half of the frozen dough.

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon together.

-Brush the cut cookies (I used my fingers) with the reserved egg whites. Place 5 almond slices on the top of each cookie and liberally sprinkle each cookie with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.

-Bake the cookies in a preheated oven for 10 minutes, rotate the cookie sheets and continue baking for an additional 10 more minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.

Cinnamon Sugar Sand Dollar Cookies

Cinnamon Sugar Sand Dollar Cookies

Our dinner was catered by Uncle Bub's BBQ in Westmont, IL, and we rented the tent, tiki bar, slushy maker, tables and chairs from our friends at Party Plus, in Palatine, IL.  Dinner consisted of an 80 pound spit roasted pig, red potatoes in parsley and butter, baked beans, tropical coleslaw, buns, tortillas, corn bread and enough honey, butter and pickles to choke a horse, er, um, pig! Thank you Mr. Piggy for giving up your life, and in feeding us all in such a delicious way!

Some of the other items I made for appetizers and desserts were:


Pineapple Cheese Ball


Pink Lemonade Cookies


Coconut Macadamia Nut Cookies

Normally at the end of each of my posts, I'll coordinate one of my hand painted glassware items or aprons to the recipe I shared. However, today I'll spare you because of the extensive photos I've shared of our party. I know you're busy, and have lots of other things to do. That said, if you're interested in browsing my shop on etsy, I'd love to have you stop by for a visit and have a look around. Custom orders are always welcome!

Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!

Labels: , , , , ,