Traditional Irish Shortbread

This traditional rolled Irish Shortbread is rich and buttery. It's simply the best tasting cookie that requires only 3 simple ingredients. This must be your lucky day!

Traditional Irish Shortbread Recipe - Kudos Kitchen by Renee

Hi everybody! Because it's St. Patrick's day, I wanted to share with you this recipe for Tradtional Irish Shortbread.

What I love the most about this recipe (other than how delicious it is), is the ease in which this dough comes together and how easy it is to roll out.

I received this nifty Kudos Kitchen rolling pin this past Christmas so I thought this would be the perfect recipe to show off this extremely fun (and functional) gift. Thank you Adam and Karen. I love this rolling pin very much and I'm proud to showcase it in my kitchen, and with my baking :)

Traditional Irish Shortbread Recipe - Kudos Kitchen by Renee

What I did with this dough is rolled it out into two seperate blocks, and left them whole. However, cookie cutters can certainly used to cut the unbaked dough into any shapes you like.

I decided I wanted to keep the cookies on the "rustic" side, so after the blocks were baked, I broke them into random pieces. I really like the way they turned out.

Traditional Irish Shortbread Recipe - Kudos Kitchen by Renee

Yield: approximately 30 - 2" cookies    Prep Time: 5 minutes     Bake Time: 15-17 minutes

1 cup butter, softened (I always use salted)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

-In a large bowl, using a hand mixer (or using a stand mixer and the paddle attachment), beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Turn the mixer to low and blend in the flour and salt until fully incorporated and the dough forms a ball.

-Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface (or if baking in blocks, a piece of parchment paper) and roll to approximately ¼" thickness. Cut the dough with cookie cutters (if using) and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Or if baking in blocks, use a pizza cutter to even the edges of the dough, and transfer the cut block of cookie (parchment paper and all) to a baking sheet.

-Bake in a preheated oven for 15-17 minutes or until you achive your desired color or doneness. *Note - Traditional Irish Shortbread is typically light in color. However, I don't mind mine with a little extra browness. Your call.

-Cool completely, and break the blocks into pieces (if desired).

May flowers always line your path,
And sunshine light your day.
May songbirds serenade you,
Every step along the way.
May a rainbow run beside you,
In a sky that's always blue.
And may happiness fill your heart,
Each day your whole life through.
May your thoughts be as glad as the shamrocks.
May your heart be as light as a song.
May each day bring you bright, happy hours,
That stay with you all the year long.
                                              The above Irish blessing is compliments of Irish Expressions.

Traditional Irish Shortbread Recipe - Kudos Kitchen by Renee

I thought it would be appropriate to coordinate this Irish shortbread cookie with a couple of "Travel the World" mugs I painted for a customer last Christmas. Even though Ireland's flag isn't depicted here (just use your imagination), these are in fact, Irish style coffee mugs! LOL

Flags of the World hand painted coffee mug. -
If there is ever anything I can paint for you, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop. Custom orders (like this one) are always welcome. Just sent me a photo or description of what you're looking for and leave the rest up to me!
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art and fun collide on a regular basis!

Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , ,