Popcorn Is For Lovers

These perfectly proportioned personalized painted popcorn bowls are the perfect present to present after he's "popped" the question.

Personalized Painted Wedding Popcorn Bowl - www.kudoskitchenbyrenee.wazala.com

Hi everybody! Today I'd like to share with you the steps I take to paint my large, personalized popcorn bowls. I hope you'll enjoy seeing the process. Please know that even though I don't show it, every color takes at least two coats of paint for the opaqueness I desire.

As an artist, I'm fortunate enough to have a few clients who order my large hand painted popcorn bowls as couples gifts for weddings and special occasions. One such client is a wedding videographer from Omaha, NE who packs each personalized bowl full of goodies for each couple whose wedding she has photographed, along with that very special video. I can only imagine how thrilled the couples are to sit finally and reminiscence of their very special day while munching on popcorn from their personalized popcorn keepsake bowl. It's no wonder these bowls are so POPular!

Each bowl starts with a base coat of white. When that is thoroughly dry, I paint on the red stripes that surround each bowl.

Naturally the bottom has to be painted so I connect the stripes, To me they kind of resemble gigantic peppermint candy at this point.

When the bottom is dry, I paint the ovals on the sides of each bowl. Each bowl gets two ovals. One in the front and one in the back.

Using a very thin liner brush and black paint, each oval is outlined to make it stand out from the stripes. And each bowl gets red stripe around the top of the white stripes to denote the popcorn container itself.

With the use of my trusty liner brush (my favorite) and some white paint, I accent the ovals even further with an interior white line for even more detail.

From there, the word popcorn is painted inside one of the ovals, along with the couple's names and wedding date inside the other oval on the opposite side of the bowl. Note that I always start from the center of a word or phrase and paint outwards ensuring that things are centered and neat.

Personalized Painted Wedding Popcorn Bowl - www.kudoskitchenbyrenee.wazala.com

Next come the popcorn kernels (my favorite part). Random white and ivory colored kernels get painted all around the top of the bowl, including some stray kernels to make it look like they've fallen from the pile and landed on the table surrounding the bowl. I paint between 95-105 pieces of popped corn on each bowl, and like snowflakes (and real popcorn), no two kernels are ever the same!

Butter then gets added (no worries about calories here) as do the hulls, but thankfully these are the kind that won't get stuck in your teeth!

The final step is that tiny black outline that rims each piece of corn to make them stand out and seperate from the rest. It's a timely step but one that really puts the POP in the corn itself. See what I mean?

Personalized Painted Wedding Popcorn Bowl - www.kudoskitchenbyrenee.wazala.com

Once each bowl is completely dry, I take the time to glaze each bowl to insure long life and durability. After all, this is for forever people and I want your popcorn bowls to last till death do you part.

Below is a special touch I give to a select few bowls, when requested. There is a trick to painting this, so it's on the outside of the bowl and doesn't come in contact with the food itself. However, this is one trade secret that I'll be keeping to myself. After all, a girl's got to have a few secrets, right?

Personalized Painted Wedding Popcorn Bowl - www.kudoskitchenbyrenee.wazala.com

Thank you to Sarah of Pen Weddings for supplying me with the below photo that shows how she presents the bowls to her happy couples. I just love when customers share photos with me because then I get to share them with you! Priceless!

Personalized Painted Wedding Popcorn Bowl - www.kudoskitchenbyrenee.wazala.com

I hope you've enjoyed seeing these popcorn bowls come to life as much as I've enjoyed sharing them with you. Time for me to run now because Sarah just placed another order for 14 bowls with me and I'd better get busy painting :)

Oh, before I go I'd like to share this recipe for homemade Cashew Bacon Caramel Corn with you that would be utterly delicious when served out of your very own personalized popcorn bowl (or any bowl for that matter). But, if you're going for the cuteness and pizzaz factor...well, you know where to reach me. LOL

Cashew Bacon Caramel Corn - www.kudoskitchenbyrenee.com

Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art and fun collide on a regular basis!

If there is ever anything I can paint for you, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop. Custom orders are always welcome, and I will happily work from any photo or description you send my way...and yes, I ship.

I'm grateful to be linking up this post to: The Creative Collection Link Party, Today's Creative Blog, . Thank you so much!

Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , , ,