Baked Farro with Butternut Squash, Bacon and Brussels Sprouts

Baked Farro with Butternut Squash, Bacon and Brussels Sprouts is a deliciously savory casserole with plenty of healthy whole grains and tons of texture and taste. 
Baked Farro with Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts Recipe

I've just recently started cooking with farro, and now I wonder how I got along without it. This chewy, nutty grain is much like plump barley, and it's an excellent form of whole grains and complex carbohydrates. What that means is that once it's digested, complex carbohydrates break down slowly in your body releasing energy through time, without causing those nasty blood sugar spikes that can zap your energy. Plus, a complex carbohydrate will keep your belly feeling fuller longer, which is something I think we're all striving for.

Baked Farro with Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts Recipe

I've been cooking for my 94-year-old father-in-law on occasion because he's ill and has been bed-ridden for the past six months. I am not alone in doing so. Everyone in the family has been taking turns bringing nutritious dishes that can easily be pureed and heated in the microwave for him.

My father-in-law is a man of simple tastes, and a man whom (I believe), never has, in all his life, eaten Chinese or Mexican cuisine. So when my husband and I were on our way over to deliver this, and other dishes, I voiced my doubts to my husband that this might be a recipe that my father-in-law wouldn't actually enjoy.

We brought it over anyway explaining to my brother-in-law (my father-in-law's in-home caretaker) exactly what it was, making sure to stress the fact that if dad didn't like it, I'd bring him something else very soon.

Baked Farro with Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts Recipe

Weeks passed and I didn't hear a word. After that amount of time, I assumed I never would. That is until my sister-in-law forwarded on an email to me from my brother-in-law (I guess he had forgotten who they'd had gotten this dish from, and assumed it was her). In the email, he stated that he and my father-in-law had enjoyed this recipe so much that he wanted the recipe so he could make it himself! If you knew my brother-in-law, you'd be as shocked as I was over this! LOL

I did share the recipe with him, and to the best of my knowledge I don't believe he's ever made it. I plan on making it again this Friday and then bringing it to them again the coming weekend....bacon included.

Baked Farro with Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts Recipe

Serves:   6-8         Prep Time:  15 minutes       Bake Time:  60 minutes

1/4 pound bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled (reserving 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings)
1 large sweet onion, chopped
3 cups butternut squash, cut into 1" cubes
2 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
1 tablespoon butter
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoons black pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 ½ cup farro
1 cup white wine
2 cups beef broth (I use low-sodium)
½ cup Parmesan cheese

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Cook the bacon in a large pot until brown and cooked. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels.
-Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings in the skillet.
-Add the onion, butternut squash and Brussels sprouts into the pan along with 1 tablespoon butter.
-Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in the salt, pepper, nutmeg, garlic, paprika and the bacon.
-Add the farro to the pot, stirring to thoroughly combine all the ingredients.
-Add the wine and beef stock and simmer for 5-10 minutes over medium heat.
-Transfer the mixture into a 8 quart baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
-Cover the baking dish and bake in a preheated oven for 50 minutes.
-Remove the cover and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the contents.
-Replace the casserole back into the oven for 5-10 minutes to melt the cheese.
-Serve and enjoy.
*Note - To make this dish vegetarian, omit the bacon and replace the beef broth with vegetable broth.

This dish may not have any spinach in it, but it's definitely Olive Oyl approved. *wink*

Olive Oyl hand painted oil bottle /
If there is ever anything I can paint for you, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop. Custom orders are always welcome, and I will happily work from any photo or descritpion you send my way.
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art and fun collide on a regular basis!

Thanks for visiting me in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you've enjoyed your stay.

Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , , , , ,