Gingerbread Mountain Cake

This Gingerbread Mountain Cake was inspired by Germany's black forest and can serve double duty as a centerpiece on your holiday table.
Gingerbread Mountain Cake makes a delicious and whimsical centerpiece for any holiday table.

Hi everybody! I'm hoping this whimsical recipe will inspire you to play with your food this holiday season. I think it will delight both young and old alike.  

Many years ago I did something similar to this Gingerbread Mountain Cake and used it for our Christmas eve centerpiece. The only difference was that I used cut pieces of gingerbread cake and stacked them up on a plate. I didn't blog about it then, but it's been on my mind ever since.
This year I knew that I wanted to recreate the design but in a simpler way. Here is a picture of the one I had done in Christmas Past.


I loved the bottlebrush trees that I used on this cake. This year while I was at the craft store I found the tall trees that I thought would make a very fun statement, so this year I decided to use them instead of the bottle brush trees. And, if I'm being 100% honest, the main reason was that I couldn't find my bottlebrush trees within our Christmas boxes this year! But odds are I'll find them when I'm packing things away after the holidays. LOL

Gingerbread Mountain Cake makes a delicious and whimsical centerpiece for any holiday table.

If this Gingerbread Mountain Cake is something you're interested in replicating and you don't already have bottlebrush, tall trees, and with little plastic deer, you can find the best selection of items in the toy train department of your local craft store. From there, the rest is left up to your imagination.

Gingerbread Mountain Cake makes a delicious and whimsical centerpiece for any holiday table.

GINGERBREAD MOUNTAIN CAKE   {PRINT THIS RECIPE}
Servings:  10-12      Prep Time:  15 minutes     Bake Time: 50-60 minutes

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, cut into ½" pieces
1 cup boiling water
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup molasses
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon ginger paste (found in the fresh herb section of the produce department)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
powdered sugar for garnish
Assorted trees and plastic deer for decorating
Wire cutters (if working with wire trees)

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
-In a medium bowl, pour the boiling water over the cut up butter. Whisk in the light brown sugar, molasses, ginger paste and vanilla extract. 
-Add the eggs to the wet ingredients and whisk to combine.
-Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk well to combine.
-Pour the gingerbread batter evenly into a prepared bundt pan that has been sprayed with baking spray.
-Bake in a preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
-Remove to a wire rack. Cool 15 minutes and carefully turn the cake out of the pan to cool completely.
-Place the cake on a serving plate and dust the top with powdered sugar.
-Decorate the gingerbread mountain with assorted trees and deer.
*Note - Do NOT let children work with wire cutters without adult supervision
*Note - The decorations are NOT edible! Please remove the trees and animals before slicing and eating!


Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, pour the boiling water over the butter. Stir the brown sugar and molasses into the butter and water mixture.



Pour the butter mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk well to combine. Pour the batter evenly into a prepared bundt pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar and decorate with trees and deer.





Cool the baked cake completely on a wire rack. Dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar and decorate.

Depending on the kind of trees you choose to work with, wire cutters may be needed. Be careful cutting the branches of the trees and do not let children attempt this task  unless supervised by an adult. Hand strength is required so little children should not be allowed to cut the trees.



Clean the bottom of the trees before adding them into the cake and place the deer in amongst the trees.



Gingerbread Mountain Cake makes a delicious and whimsical centerpiece for any holiday table.

Gingerbread Mountain Cake makes a delicious and whimsical centerpiece for any holiday table.

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas... are you? 

Speaking of a White Christmas...this Gingerbread Mountain Cake (and it's background) brings back many fond memories of the classic holiday movie starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kay, Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen. The movie is one of my absolute favorite Christmas movies and  inspired my recipe for Vermont Hot Chocolate (please click on the recipe title to be taken to the recipe).

Vermont Hot Chocolate Recipe / www.kudoskitchenbyrenee.com

If you're a fan of that movie (as I am), you'll recognize that iconic scene that I tried to mimic in the photo above. If not, please click here and you'll see the scene that I'm speaking of. For me, Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without seeing that scene at least once each season! 

Speaking of iconic Christmas movies and shows...I'm pretty sure that most (if not all) of you will recognize this guy. If not, pull up an ice block and I'll tell you a little story... LOL

Sam the Snowman painted coffee mug via Kudos Kitchen by Renee
If there is ever anything I can paint for you, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop (closed until early 2015). Custom orders are always welcome, and I can work from any photo or description you send my way.

Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art and fun collide on a regular basis!

Thanks for visiting, You're always welcome in my Kudos Kitchen!

Until we eat again,



Labels: , , , ,