Peanut Butter, Chicken and Pumpkin Stew #FoodieExtravaganza

Peanut butter and pumpkin take center stage in this deliciously rich and flavorful fall stew. I've added chicken for my meat loving family but this could easily be made into a meatless meal that would satisfy even the hungriest of bellies. Serve this in a roasted pumpkin for an unforgettable seasonal presentation! 
Serve this Peanut Butter, Chicken and Pumpkin Stew in a roasted pumpkin for drama and presentation.

I've joined a fun new cooking group. It's called Foodie Extravaganza and every month there is a featured ingredient that we get to play with. The gist is to challenge ourselves to come up with a recipe (sweet or savory) that highlights the featured month's ingredient in the very best way possible. This month's (November) featured ingredient is peanut butter (my favorite) so I decided to make this Peanut Butter, Chicken and Pumpkin Stew.

I've always wanted to present a dish inside a pumpkin because it looks so festive. This year, thanks to #FoodieExtravaganza I finally did! For clarity, I didn't actually cook the stew inside the pumpkin. I cooked it on the stovetop and then ladled it into a roasted pumpkin for presentation sake. However, you could surely heat it up inside the pumpkin if need be. That said a regular bowl works just as well for serving this delicious peanut butter inspired soup. No pumpkin bowl needed :)

Serve this Peanut Butter, Chicken and Pumpkin Stew Recipe in a roasted pumpkin for drama and presentation.

The day I made this stew I was a bit like a mad scientist in his lab. While I had a general idea of where I wanted to got with this stew I didn't know what I was actually going to do, and add, until I got to tasting and testing.

My inspiration for this recipe comes loosely from and African Chicken Peanut Stew recipe I found on simplyrecipes.com but from there I tweaked and worked it to make it my own. Where it needed a little bite, I added apple cider vinegar. Where it needed a little sweetness, I added apple cider and brown sugar. Where it needed a little smokey heat, I added some smoked paprika and a pinch of cayenne. Then, because it's pumpkin season I added in some canned pumpkin purée and spooned the completed stew into a roasted pumpkin for a little seasonal presentation flair.

Serve this Peanut Butter, Chicken and Pumpkin Stew Recipe in a roasted pumpkin for drama and presentation.

What I love the most about this stew is that even though there is a lot going on as far as flavors and textures, it all works. And the peanut butter is certainly the star of the dish (as it should be)!

PEANUT BUTTER, CHICKEN AND PUMPKIN STEW  {PRINT THIS RECIPE}
Servings:  6-8       Prep and Cook Time: 40 minutes

For the stew:
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size chunks, seasoned with salt and pepper.         2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 large, sweet onion, chopped
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1½ teaspoon smoked paprika
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
pinch cayenne
2 teaspoons rubbed sage
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 quart of chicken stock (I used low-sodium)
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 cup peanut butter (I used a natural, chunky style)
3/4 cup apple cider
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Chopped fresh cilantro to garnish
Roasted pie pumpkins for serving (optional)

-In a large Dutch oven over medium/high heat and working in two batches, brown the seasoned chicken on all sides in the canola oil. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
-Reduce the heat to medium and saute the onion and sweet potatoes for about 3-4 minutes in the same pot, stirring occasionally.
-Stir in the smoked paprika, salt, pepper, sage, ginger, cayenne, brown sugar and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes to release the the flavors of the spices.
-Stir in the pumpkin puree, peanut butter and apple cider.
-Slowly stir in the chicken stock and stir to incorporate.
-Add the cooked chicken back into the pot. Stir and simmer uncovered on medium/low for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and all the flavors have blended.
-Right before serving, stir in the apple cider vinegar and top with fresh cilantro.
-To serve, ladle the soup into bowls or into roasted pie pumpkin tureens. Directions follow.

To make the roasted pumpkins:
1 pie pumpkin per person

-Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
-Cut to cap off the pumpkin. Use a spoon or ice cream scoop to remove the seeds and pulp from the inside of the pumpkin.
-Place the pumpkin onto a baking sheet and roast in a preheated oven for approximately 25-30 minutes.
-Remove and cool.
-Ladle the stew into the roasted pumpkin bowls and serve.
-To reheat, preheat oven to 375 and heat the pumpkin tureens filled with stew for approximately 15-20 minutes.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Brown the chicken in the oil on all sides. Remove. Stir in the onions and sweet potatoes. Saute to soften. Stir in the spices and seasonings.





Stir in the pumpkin, peanut butter, apple cider and browned chicken. Carefully add the chicken stock and stir until incorporated and thickened.




Remove the top from each pie pumpkin. Use a large spoon or ice cream scoop to remove the seeds and pulp from each pumpkin. Roast in a 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Ladle the stew into each pumpkin. Garnish with cilantro and serve.




Serve this Peanut Butter, Chicken and Pumpkin Stew Recipe in a roasted pumpkin for drama and presentation / www.kudoskitchenbyrenee.com

Are you a peanut butter lover like I am? If so, you need to check out all the other fabulous #FoodieExtravaganza recipes (18 actually) that feature delicious peanut butter this month. I can't wait to see them myself....I have a feeling I'm going to be doing a lot of printing and pinning :)

Below are the links and the instructions for you to join in the Foodie Extravaganza fun like I did...and you can too...

Welcome back to our monthly Foodie Extravaganza!

foodieextravaganza

If this is your first time joining us, the Foodie Extravaganza is a monthly party hosted by bloggers who love food! Each month we incorporate one main ingredient into recipes to share with you and this month that ingredient is a classic family favorite...PEANUT BUTTER!

Which means you can see 17 more delicious & unique peanut butter recipes at the end of this post. Yay!

{your post here}

Don't miss the rest of these delicious peanut butter recipes!

18 Peanut Butter Recipes

Savory Dishes
Sweet Treats
I'm excited to be linking up this post to Sweet Bella Roos, pin it Thrusday!

Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , , ,