Woof Wednesday - News From Nutmeg


Hi everyone! Nutmeg speaking! We're talking a little break from our usual Woof Wednesday feature (the pet friends edition) so I can tell you a little bit about what's been going on with me in my life over the past couple of weeks.


A few weeks ago, mom brought me to the doctors office because she was getting concerned about a bump that I've had on my torso for a few months. I also had some new ones popping up all over. That's the thing with short haired dogs like me, every little bump and lump shows up, so there's no hiding anything... but I guess that's a good thing.


The new bumps looked mostly like mosquito bites; so mom wasn't especially nervous that they were anything more than that.  Plus the last time we were at the doctor's office we were told not to worry because that one on my torso didn't seem like anything we needed to be very concerned over.

Fast forward to now, after a few needle aspirations of two of the bumps, the doctor told mom that I have mast cell cancer. That was on a Saturday morning.


Mom was in complete shock and cried pretty much uncontrollably for the next few days. I, on the other hand, went about my normal life, feeling good, acting normal and eating and drinking just as I always have. I could tell that something had happened because of all the extra attention I received (not that I ever lacked attention in the first place). I didn't really understand it, but I certainly did enjoy it, even though it drove my big sister Ivy crazy with jealousy. BOL (barking out loud).


On Monday morning, mom was feeling so much more positive, and made me an appointment to visit an oncologist to have more tests taken and to find out my prognosis and course of action for my treatment.

The day of my oncologist appointment was, by far, the longest and most unusual day of my life. I don't get to go for many car rides unless its to our vet's office, which is only 5 minutes away. This day, however, I got to go for a car ride that was the longest ride EVER (in dog years). I was anxious and nervous and didn't sit down the entire way.


Because my mom was nervous about what the new test results would show, my grandma (mom's mom) came with us on our visit to give mom and me some moral support. How nice that grandma's house is on the way to the oncologist's office, so we stopped there first to pick her up.

BOSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've never been to grandma and grandpa's house before. They always come to visit me, but this time I got to go see where they live, check out their house, room by room, and meet their funny cockatiel, Jake. I was pretty curious about Jake, and he seemed to be pretty curious about me too but I didn't bark at him, not once.

When the three of us got to the oncologist's office, I was amazed at the size of the place and the number of other animals that were there in giant sized waiting room. I was on my very best behavior and displayed my best manors to all the other dogs there. That is until another Boston terrier came in (who looked a little like my sister, Ivy) so naturally I had to give a few barks just to say "Hello, you look like someone I know!"


We met with a few doctors that day, and they gave me a full once over. Feeling everywhere, asking mom lots of questions and even taking my temperature. I stood completely still because I knew we were here for serious business. Then, I said goodbye to mom and grandma and they walked me down a long hall so I could have an ultrasound done along with another examination and blood test to see if my cancer had spread to my lymph nodes and/or internal organs. Mom and grandma were instructed to come back in an hour.


I can only imagine what a wreck mom was at that point but thankfully she had grandma there to help keep her mind occupied.

An hour later I was walked into another room to meet up with mom and grandma. I was so excited to see them again, and I could tell they were even more excited to see me. The doctor described her findings, and we are so thankful to report that my cancer has not spread to my lymph nodes OR my internal organs. I have like ten lumps on my body and 6 out of those ten bumps are malignant.  Because of the number of bumps, surgery wasn't recommended, and chemotherapy is the way we decided to fight this nasty cancer.


The doctor's prognoses for me is good. She feels as though the cancer I have can be completely cured by taking my chemotherapy pills every other day for the next six weeks. After that time, I'll go back in for another appointment so they can check my results. If needed, I'll stay on chemo for longer, or maybe they'll cut back my dosage if I'm doing well. Time will tell.

There's even more good news... I've already had four doses of my chemo medication, and I've not suffered any of the side effects they warned us about. I'm feeling good, playing a lot, eating and drinking just as normal, and am the same funny, quirky dog I've always been. Thank Dog!


My mom has received an unbelievable amount of support and love from friends and family on social media for me, and I know that many of you have sent me love, prayers and well wishes. Thank you all so very much. It definitely DOES makes a difference, and I'm here to tell you so!


Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art, fun and fur collide on a regular basis!

With love and licks!
Nutmeg

Labels: , ,