Bacon and Pretzel Cracker Coated Pork Chops

Bacon and Pretzel Coated Pork Chops makes good use for a box of half eaten crackers.

What do you do when you have leftover pretzel crackers (you know the ones; pretzel on one side and cracker on the other) in the pantry, you've cooked the entire package of bacon but only needed half of it and you have pork chops thawing for dinner? You make these Bacon and Pretzel Cracker Coated Pork Chops. That's what. If necessity is the mother of invention, then leftovers are surly the stepmother!!

If you're wondering why I had more than half a box of pretzel crackers leftover in the pantry, it's because I had used only 8 of them as headstones for these creepy Halloween inspired Twice Baked Potato Graves. Luckily I'd put the crackers away before I snacked on way too many of them as I was putting the potatoes together. I'm actually surprised that nobody else in my family had noticed the pretzel crackers in the pantry. If they had, I never would have come up with this delicious pork chop breading.

The extra bacon I had is because I'd recently made some German Potato salad (recipe coming soon). Since I was frying bacon anyway, I decided to make more than I needed and keep the extra in the fridge to add to a later date. After all, everything's better with bacon.

Bacon and Pretzel Cracker Coated Pork Chops. Next time you fry bacon, fry extra and make this delicious coating for pork chops.

The day I'd taken the pork chops out of the freezer to thaw is the same day I thought about the cooked bacon that was waiting for me in the fridge and the opened box of pretzel crackers. After all it was only a matter of time before somebody got to them before I did and once I have an idea in mind for a recipe, I'm quite possessed.

Now I'm not suggesting that you buy a box of crackers specifically for this recipe, or fry up bacon just to bread pork chops. But what I am suggesting you do is the next time you fry bacon, fry a little extra and stick it in the freezer. And the next time you have a half opened box of pretzel crackers (or plain pretzels, or plain crackers), whirl them up in a food processor along with the cooked bacon, and then bread some pork chops with it. I promise; you won't be disappointed.

Place the crackers and precooked bacon in a food processor and pulse until crumbs form. Pierce the boneless pork chops all over with a pairing knife or a marinating tool. Marinate the chops for at least 30 minutes in apple cider vinegar. Season the marinated chops with pepper to taste but no salt as there is enough salt in the pretzel crackers.

Place the pretzel and bacon crumbs into a shallow dish. Press both sides of each chop into the crumbs and place the coated chops onto a baking sheet. Drizzle each coated chop with a little olive oil and bake until cooked through.

Servings:  4          Prep Time: 40 minutes (including marinating time)     Cook Time: 40 minutes
4 boneless pork chops, approximately 1" thick
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
season the marinated chops with black pepper, no salt.
2 cups pretzel cracker crumbs, approximately 1/2 a box
1/4 cup crisp cooked bacon
olive oil

-Place the chops into a shallow dish. Pierce the chops with a paring knife or marinating tool and pour the apple cider vinegar over each chop. Turn to coat. Allow the chops to sit in the apple cider vinegar for 30 minutes.
-Meanwhile, pulse the pretzel crackers and cooked bacon in a food processor until crumbs are formed. Place the crumbs into a shallow dish. Set aside.
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Season the marinated chops with pepper and place them into the crumbs pressing to adhere the crumbs to the chop. Flip the chops over to coat both sides liberally with the crumbs.
-Place the coated chops onto a baking sheet and drizzle each with a little olive oil.
-Place the chops into a preheated oven and cook for approximately 40 minutes or until the middle of the chops are no longer pink.
-Serve and enjoy!

Bacon and Pretzel Cracker Coated Pork Chops / Kudos Kitchen by Renee

Are you a pork lover like I am? If so, I have all sorts of other yummy recipes you might enjoy...

Asian Inspired Pork Meatballs:

Sweet and Savory Pork Tenderloin Stacks:

Pork Chops with Lemon, Bacon and Sage:

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork:

Gingered Pork with Orange Sauce for the Slow Cooker:

I love piggies too (which is why I own two Boston terriers). I think they're the most like pigs without actually owning a pig. LOL. Just kidding...kind of.

This is a custom wine glass I was asked to paint a few years ago. I'm not sure about the story behind the glass itself but the client wanted the flying pig and the Delta airline logo. I don't ask, I just paint. HaHa!

When Pigs Fly Custom Painted Wine Glass /
If there is ever anything I can paint for you, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop. Custom orders (like this one) are always welcome. It's my pleasure to work from any photo or description you send my way.
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art and fun collide on a regular basis!

Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , , ,