Slow-Cooker Pumpkin and Blueberry Cake

Pumpkin and Blueberry Cake cooks in the slow cooker with maple syrup and butter.

I've been trying to use my slow-cooker on a pretty regular basis lately, but until now I've never baked a cake. I'm very pleased with how this Pumpkin and Blueberry Cake turned out, even though I kept peeking into the cooker because I was nervous that it would be an epic fail!


Thankfully my first time slow-cooker cake baked all the way through and smelled amazing each and every time I stuck my nose into peek. LOL The next time I bake a cake in the slow-cooker I promise I'll be more relaxed and won't peek (but don't hold me to that).

I've determined that the key to baking a cake properly in the slow-cooker is to have a few sheets of paper towels lining the cover that will absorb the condensation that a slow-cooker is famous for. The paper towels absorb the steam wonderfully well, so that it doesn't drip back onto the cake adding additional liquid to the cake that you just don't want. Keep this in mind whenever you're baking in your slow-cooker, and I believe you'll have wonderful results each and every time!

This is a delicious pumpkin and blueberry cake that cooks in the slow cooker and then topped with chopped walnuts.

SLOW-COOKER PUMPKIN AND BLUEBERRY CAKE   {PRINT THIS RECIPE}
Yield: 8-10 servings       Prep Time: 10 minutes       Cook Time: 2 hours on high

Nonstick baking spray
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup evaporated milk
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

-Spray a slow cooker liberally with baking spray.
-In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk and brown sugar.
-In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
-Using a pastry blender, cut the cold butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
-Stir the pumpkin mixture into the flour/butter mixture until just combined. The batter will be thick.
-Carefully stir in the blueberries, being careful not to break too many of them.
-Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared slow-cooker.
-Pour the maple syrup and 2 tablespoons melted butter over top of the batter and top with the chopped walnuts (if using).
-Place a few sheets of paper towel over the cooker and place the lid on top.
-Cook on high for approximately 90 minutes.
-Remove the lid and the paper towels, reduce the heat to low, and continue cooking an additional 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
-Cool at least 1 hour.
-Once cooled, run a knife around the cooker and cake to make sure the cake will release itself.
-Using pot holders, place a plate on top of the cooker and carefully flip the plate and cooker over so the cake comes out of the cooker. The cake will now be upside down.
-Place the serving plate on top (now bottom) of the cake and carefully flip the cake and plate over. The cake will now be right side up.
-Serve and enjoy.

As you know, I like to share step-by-step photos with you of my recipes so that they hopefully can help you visualize the process of how they come together. If you have any questions by all means leave them for me in the comment section and I'll be happy to answer them for you as soon as possible.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stir together the pumpkin puree and the evaporated milk in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.



Add the cut up butter into the flour mixture. Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture and stir to combine.



Carefully stir the blueberries into the thick batter and then spoon the batter into a slow-cooker that has been sprayed with baking spray. Take the time to make sure the batter is spread evenly in the cooker. Pour the maple syrup and melted butter over the batter and then sprinkle the top with the chopped walnuts.



Slow-Cooker Pumpkin and Blueberry Cake is perfect for autumn entertaining.

Place several layers of paper towels over the top of the cooker and place the lid on. Cook on high for 90 minutes. Remove the lid and the paper towels. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking an additional 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


Allow the cooker to cool for about 60 minutes and then run a knife around the cake to make sure it will release from the cooker. Place a plate on top of the cooker and use pot holders to flip the cooker over and flip the cake out, onto the plate. Place a serving plate on top of the cake and flip the cake out onto the serving plate so that it sits right side up.





So there you go, my first slow-cooker cake, and I'm 100% positive that it's not my last. I just know that you're going to love this recipe as much as I did and that you'll be able to make it with no worries (just like I did), and with no peeking...I dare you! LOL

Slow-Cooker Pumpkin and Blueberry Cake has all the flavors of autumn that you love.

Slow-Cooker Pumpkin and Blueberry Cake is moist and tender. The topping of maple syrup, butter and walnuts is the perfect finish.

Add this Slow-Cooker Pumpkin and Blueberry Cake to your favorite slow-cooker baking recipe file. You're going to love the fall spice in this one.

I know I'm not alone in my love of autumn and all things pumpkins (and leaves). And so, I'd like to coordinate this recipe for Pumpkin and Blueberry cake with my original, hand painted design that I call...pumpkin and autumn leaves....Surprise! This cake would go great with a nice pumpkin latte or cup of spiced tea, don't you think? I sure do. Cheers!

Autumn Leave and Pumpkin hand painted coffee or tea cup
If there is ever anything I can paint for you, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop. Custom orders are always welcome and I can work from any photo or idea you send my way.
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art and fun collide on a regular basis!

Thanks for visiting me in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you've enjoyed your stay.
Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , ,