Oktoberfest Schnitzel Melt Sandwich for #SundaySupper - Fabulous Fall Foods

Breaded pork schnitzel sandwich with Swiss cheese on marbled rye bread.

For this weeks #SundaySupper theme of Fabulous Fall Foods, I decided that I'd like to make and share a recipe for an Oktoberfest Schnitzel Melt Sandwich.


Whenever I think of fall, I think of Oktoberfest. I suppose that's the little German girl coming out in me because it brings me back to my roots, and conjures up memories. Oktoberfest makes me think of my grandfather Hugo with his heavy German accent and the way he cooked with abandon in the kitchen (my style indeed). My grandpa Hugo was also an amateur painter, so I'm pretty sure my love of painting also comes from him. He passed when I was probably around 12 or 13 so I didn't get to experience time with him in the kitchen as I would have wished. I'd give anything to be able to do that now and learn some of his recipes and tips that I'm pretty sure he took with him to the great beyond.

I'm thankful that a small handful of some my grandfather's recipes were saved and shared with me from my aunt, but nothing along the lines of schnitzel. This one I came up with on my own.

Pork schnitzel with Swiss cheese and honey mustard mayo on marbled rye bread.

I chose boneless pork chops as my schnitzel protein but feel free to substitute boneless, skinless chicken (breast, thighs, or both), or even boneless veal chops (aka wiener schnitzel). The method of making the schnitzel is exactly the same no matter what protein you choose so make it your own, and make it often. I do believe you're going to love this sandwich!

Oktoberfest Pork Schnitzel Melt Sandwich / www.kudoskitchenbyrenee.com

I chose to add Swiss cheese to my pork schnitzel because it's one of my favorite cheeses and then I topped that with some easy to make honey, mustard mayonnaise. I think this sauce would also be good with a little touch of beer in it (I just thought of that now), but that's strictly the adult version and not for the kiddos. Naturally, that would be kicking up the Oktoberfest theme a notch or two, and I'm certainly not opposed to that! Next time! LOL

OKTOBERFEST SCHNITZEL MELT SANDWICHES   {PRINT THIS RECIPE}
Yield: 8 sandwiches       Prep and Cook Time:  30 minutes    

4 boneless pork chops, cut in half and pounded thin (see below for instructions)
salt and pepper to season the chops
1 cup flour
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons water
1 cup panko crumbs
1 cup bread crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
canola oil for pan frying
16 slices of marbled rye bread
4 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
16 slices of Swiss Cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
2 tablespoons honey

-Using a meat mallet or a rolling pin, pound each piece of pork using enough pressure to flatten it to about 1/4" thickness. Season with salt and pepper and set aside while you prepare the coating.
-In three shallow dishes add the flour to one, the whisked eggs and water to the second one, and the panko, bread crumbs and salt and pepper to the third.
-Using tongs place each pork piece into the flour, turning to coat both sides, then into the egg mixture, turning to coat both sides, and then into the panko mixture, turning to coat both sides. *Note - use a little pressure here to press the crumbs onto the meat so they adhere well.
-In a large skillet over medium/high heat, add about 1½ tablespoons of canola oil for every two schnitzel and pan fry each coated schnitzel for approximately 2 minutes per side or until they're nicely golden brown.
-Remove the fried schnitzel to a tray and complete the process with the remaining schnitzel.
-Keep the fried and coated schnitzel low oven (250 degrees) while you prepare the bread and the sauce.
-Melt the 4 tablespoons of butter in the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small bowl.
-Brush each slice of bread with the butter and oil mixture (one side only) and gently brown each piece of bread (butter side down) in a large skillet over medium heat.
-After each piece of bread is browned and toasted, place 8 of the slices, buttered side down on a baking sheet. *Note - The other 8 slices will be going butter side up after the sandwiches are assembled.
-Place one slice of Swiss cheese on top of each piece of bread and then top the cheese with the prepared schnitzel.
-Meanwhile in a small bowl stir together the mayonnaise, mustard and honey.
-Top each schnitzel with another slice of Swiss cheese, slather each with a good amount of the honey mustard sauce, and then place the last slice of bread (buttered side up) onto the sandwich.
-Slide the sandwiches into a low oven (325 degrees) for about 10 minutes just until the cheese melts.
-Serve warm and enjoy!

Oktoberfest Schnitzel Melt Sandwich is made with pork schnitzel and placed on toasted marble rye bread.

As always, here are a few step-by-step photos to help you better understand the process. However, if you have any questions for me, please leave them in the comment section and I promise I'll answer them as soon as possible.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pound each piece of pork to approximately 1/4" thickness. Use tongs to dredge each cutlet into the flour, egg and crumb mixture.






Pan fry each schnitzel in a little canola oil on both sides for approximately 2 minutes each side. Place the fried cutlets on a baking sheet and keep warm in a low oven while you prepare the bread and sauce.


How to make pork schnitzel for a schnitzel melt sandwich.

Brush each slice of marbled rye bread with butter and oil. Toast each slice in a large skillet to lightly brown. Place each slice, butter side down on a baking sheet. Top each with a slice of Swiss cheese, a schnitzel, another slice of Swiss cheese and slather with the honey mustard mayo.




How to make a schnitzel melt sandwich / www.kudoskitchenbyrenee.com


How to make a schnitzel melt sandwich / www.kudoskitchenbyrenee.com

I hope you've enjoyed my take on #SundaySupper's Fabulous Fall Foods as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you. I hope you'll now take some time to check out all the other delicious recipes that the #SundaySupper team of bakers and cooks have brought your way. They are as follows:
Appetizers and Drinks
Soups, Stews, Chili, and Casserole
Salads and Side Dishes
Main Dishes
Desserts and Baked Goods

Sunday SupperJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Thanks so much for visiting me in my Kudos Kitchen. I truly hope you've enjoyed your stay.
Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , , , , ,