Homemade Turkey Breakfast Sausage and Egg Muffin Sandwich

Homemade Turkey Breakfast Sausages are made into an egg muffin sandwich.

Hands down, I'm a breakfast sausage lover and would choose it nine times out of ten over bacon. Maybe you feel the same way. If you do, I have an awesome recipe for you today where you can get the same flavor of your favorite pork breakfast sausage, except that you make it with ground turkey that keeps the fat down and makes it a whole lot healthier for you. I promise, once you try this Homemade Turkey Sausage you'll never miss the pork, albeit it in sausage, or bacon, form.


Below is a photo of the sausage after it has been formed and cooked. I wanted you get an idea what it looks like before it went onto the muffin sandwich.  As you can see I made pretty many. The reason I did is because I wanted to have plenty on hand so that I can grab one or two during the week (without the muffin and cheese, of course) for an easy, high protein, low-calorie breakfast. I figure if I have them on hand ready to heat, I'll be less likely to grab something like a high carb bagel that will spike my blood sugar and leave me feeling hungry one hour later.

Homemade Turkey Breakfast Sausages are moist and loaded with flavor.

These turkey sausages are super, super easy to make and you can shape them into either patties or links...whatever suits your fancy. What's that you say? You're worried that turkey sausages will be dry and flavorless. Not so. I've taken care that with a little olive oil in the mix along with some spices and seasonings such as fennel seed, red pepper flakes, ground sage and smoked paprika.

Homemade Turkey Breakfast Sausages and eggs cooked in tuna cans make a delicious sandwich when pilled on a buttered English muffin.

Homemade Turkey Breakfast Sausages are easy to make and are flavored with fennel, sage and smoked paprika

When I had the idea to turn some of these sausages into egg muffins, I knew I needed a way to keep the eggs contained as they cooked so they'd fit neatly onto the sandwich without hanging over. Naturally, empty tuna cans came to mind. However, when I went to open the cans on both ends, I found it impossible because the way cans are manufactured there isn't an edge for the can opener to grasp on the bottom of the cans....What's a girl to do?

It only took a moment to realize that, because the can is metal I can still put it in a skillet with the bottom intact, and the egg should cook just as it would if the bottom of the can was open...it  just might take a little longer. I sprayed the heck out of the clean tuna cans with olive oil spray and cracked one egg into each one. I seasoned each with salt and pepper and then put the cover on the skillet and crossed my fingers that they'd cook and that I could remove the eggs from the cans without much trouble. A few minutes later...complete success! Perfectly delicious, perfectly shaped hard cooked eggs came out of their cans with a simple jiggle and a pair of tongs (be careful, the cans are HOT).

The quantity of ingredients I'm sharing with you today makes 12-15 three inch round sausages. If you decide that you don't need that many sausages, this recipe is easy enough to cut in half as far a measurements go. Feel free to make as many, or as little as you need.

HOMEMADE TURKEY BREAKFAST SAUSAGE...AND EGG MUFFIN SANDWICH
Yield: 12 - 15 sausages    Prep Time: 5 minutes        Cook Time: 6 minutes per sausage
{PRINT THIS RECIPE}

To make the turkey sausage:
2 pounds ground turkey
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 ½ teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons fennel seed
1 ½ teaspoons ground sage
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon olive oil (more if desired to fry the sausage)

-Place the above ingredients into a large bowl and mix well (I find that clean hands work best for this task).
-Shape the meat mixture into 3" patties that are approximately ½" thick. Press a well into the center of each patty with your fingers to keep the patties as flat as possible during cooking.
-Cook the patties in a large skillet over medium/high heat (I cooked them in a dry skillet but you can use a drizzle of olive oil if you prefer) for approximately 3-4 minutes per side, making sure they're thoroughly cooked in the center and no pink remains.
-Continue the same process with the remainder of the turkey mixture.

To make the egg muffin sandwich:
1 toasted, buttered English muffin per sandwich
1 turkey sausage per sandwich
1 hard cooked egg per sandwich
salt and pepper to taste
1 slice of American cheese per sandwich

-To make the eggs, spray the empty and clean tuna cans liberally with olive olive oil spray. Place the tuna cans into a dry skillet over medium heat.
-Crack and egg into each tuna can and season each with a little salt and pepper. Cover the skillet and allow the eggs to cook for approximately 7-8 minutes or until the eggs are cooked through.
-Using tongs, carefully remove the cans from the skillet and give them a little jiggle. Once turned over, the eggs should slip easily out of the cans.
-Assemble the sandwich by placing the egg, sausage, cheese between the top and bottom of the toasted, buttered English muffin.
-Serve hot and enjoy.

As always, here are some step-by-step photos of the process of making the turkey sausages, and the eggs in the tuna cans. I hope they're helpful to you. Should you have any questions, please feel free to leave them for me in the comment section and I'll be happy to answer them just as soon as possible.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mix all the turkey ingredients in a large bowl. Shape the meat mixture into 3" circles and indent each patty with your fingers to keep them flat while cooking. Cook them each for approximately 3-4 minutes per side until no pink remains in the center.





To make the sandwiches, set the sausages aside and keep warm. Place the tuna cans that have been liberally sprayed with olive oil in a dry skillet over medium heat. Crack an egg into each tuna can and season them with salt and pepper. Cover the skillet and allow the eggs to cook thoroughly. Once cooked, use tongs to carefully remove the cans to a plate and turn the eggs out. Assemble the sausage and egg sandwiches and serve.





It's easy to perfectly cook eggs in tuna cans.

Homemade Turkey Breakfast Sausage and Egg Muffin Sandwich is tastier and better for you than the drive-thru.

These Homemade Turkey Breakfast Sausage and Egg Muffin Sandwiches are so flavorful and easy to make. Low calorie and delicious.

That's it. Easy peasy, right?

And now for a cup of coffee in a cute painted mug to go along with your delicious turkey and egg muffin sandwich, should be music to your taste buds :)

Piano Keys Painted Irish Coffee Mug via kudoskitchenbyrenee.com
If there is every anything I can paint for you, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop. Custom orders are always welcome and I can work from any photo or idea you send my way.
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art and fun collide on a regular basis.

Thanks for visiting me in my Kudos Kitchen! I truly hope you've enjoyed your stay.
Until we eat again,


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,