Fiesta Brown Rice and Beans


Today I have a super quick and easy side dish for you that comes together in a flash using instant brown rice, canned kidney beans, frozen corn and canned tomatoes. Roughly 10 minutes from stove top to table and you'll have all the flavors of a Mexican fiesta... pronto!

Another thing I think you'll like about this recipe is that you can change it from a side dish to a main course by adding in your favorite (cooked) protein. What about some shredded rotisserie chicken? Some pre-cooked smoked sausage? Or even some browned ground beef? Once you do that, why not add this Fiesta Brown Rice and Beans into a tortilla, wrap it up and you have a delicious lunch or dinner on the go. You've just got to love a recipe that can head in so many different directions at the drop of a sombrero, right?


FIESTA BROWN RICE AND BEANS   {PRINT THIS RECIPE}
Yield: 4 cups      Prep and Cook Time: 10 minutes

2 cups water
2 cups instant brown rice
3 tablespoons butter
1 can red kidney beans, drained
1 can chopped tomatoes with cilantro and lime
2 cups frozen corn
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

-Bring the water to a boil in a medium sauce pot.
-Stir in the rice and butter. Bring to a simmer and then cover. Turn off the heat.
-After about 5 minutes, return the heat to low and add in the beans, tomatoes, corn, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
-Simmer a few additional minutes and then you're ready to serve.

Additional serving suggestions:  Stir in some finely chopped seeded jalapenos for some heat, OR stir in some chopped cilantro for a little bit of brightness. Of course you can always top the rice with any sort of shredded cheese you desire (who doesn't love cheese?), and as I mentioned above feel free to add in any cooked meat of your choice to make this into delicious and easy main course.

Looking for more Mexican inspired recipes? How about these...

Mexican Rigatoni:


Chicken Fajita Soup:


Homemade Tortillas:


Sloppy José Sandwiches:


Homemade Horchata:


I hope you've enjoyed these recipes, some of which are from a few years ago when I first started blogging but they still hold a dear place in my heart. Just as the following wine glasses do. Everything I paint, cook or bake holds fond memories for me, and I give everything I do a little piece of my heart...from me to you.

Arizona Sunset and Cow Print Painted Wine Glasses via kudoskitchenbyrenee.com
If there is ever anything I can paint for you please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop. Custom orders are always welcome and I can work from any photo or description you send my way.
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art and fun collide on a regular basis!

Until we eat again,


Labels: , , , , , ,