Pear Tart with Walnuts and Blue Cheese - #SRC

Pear Tart with Walnuts and Blue Cheese

'Tis the season for pears which is why I chose a Fresh Pear Tart from Sue of Couscous and Consciousnesses to make for this month's #SRC (Secret Recipe Club).


I encourage you to visit Sue's blog and checkout all her amazing recipes, stories and photographs. What I find to be so much fun is that Sue lives in Nelson, New Zealand so when I visit Sue's blog, it blows my mind to think of what a small world the blogging community really is, and how our shared love of food makes instant friends of people who have never once met. Yep. Food can do that!

I chose Sue's recipe for August's #SRC weeks ago and had every intention of making it well in advance of when my group's post were due. But, as we all know, sometimes life gets in the way of plans, and I didn't actually get this tart made until yesterday and then I had to scramble to get it done.

In my haste, I changed up Sue's original recipe quite a bit because, 1 - I didn't read through the recipe like I should have before I started and I forgot an important step (but I've added it into the instructions so you don't make the same mistake I did), and 2 - I wanted to add some of my favorite flavors that I think pair wonderfully well with, well, pears!


PEAR TART WITH WALNUTS AND BLUE CHEESE   {PRINT THIS RECIPE}
Yield: 1 tart      Prep Time:  15 minutes       Bake Time: 50 minutes

2 pears, peeled (1 grated and 1 sliced) I used d'anjou
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
pinch salt
honey
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
crumbled blue cheese (approximately 1 ½  tablespoons)
Baking Spray
9" tart pan with removable bottom

-Prepare the pears and set them aside in two bowls.
-In a large bowl with a hand mixer, or the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, on low speed beat together the eggs and milk.
-Blend in the milk, sugar and vanilla.
-Blend in the flour and salt until fully incorporated.
-Switch to a wooden spoon and stir in the grated pears.
-Pour the batter evenly into a prepared tart pan that has been sprayed with baking spray.
-Arrange the sliced pears over the top of the batter and drizzle the tart with honey.
-Sprinkle the top of the tart with the chopped walnuts and the crumbled blue cheese.
-Place the tart on a parchment lined baking sheet.
-Bake in a preheated oven for 50 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).
-Cool the tart on a wire rack for about 15 minutes and then remove the sides of the tart pan by carefully pushing the bottom of the pan up and out.
-Continue cooling completely.
-Slice and serve.

Here are a few step by step photos I took that will help you view the recipe in progress.

Peel, core, grate and slice the 2 pears (grating photos not shown). Set aside.




Blend together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. Add in the flour and salt. Stir in the grated pears (not shown).



Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pan and top with the sliced pears.



Drizzle with honey and top the tart with the walnuts and crumbled blue cheese.



Place the tart on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven.

Pear Tart with Walnuts and Blue Cheese


To see all the other group D Secret Recipe Club member's submissions, just click on the photo thumbnails below and be ready to be really, really impressed! We have some really talented cooks, bakers and bloggers and I'm thrilled to be associated with them, and I'm happy to call many of them friends!


   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   


Until we eat again,


Labels: , , , , , ,