Sesame Chicken Salad #SRC

Sesame Chicken Salad Recipe via kudoskitchenbyrenee.com

If you like Asian flavors as much as we do, I think you're really going to love this recipe I found on Curious Cuisinere for Sesame Chicken Salad, which is my July pick for the Secret Recipe Club (#SRC).

Sarah is the hard working writer, photographer and recipe developer behind the scenes at Curious Cuisinere, and I've been reading and following her blog since I've become a member of the #SRC, roughly 4 years ago.It took me awhile to settle on this recipe because Sarah has hundreds of wonderful ones to choose from, and her blog is extremely easy to navigate!

But, in the end when there is a choice to be made between Asian flavors and anything else, Asian flavors always win out. No contest!

Sesame Chicken Salad Recipe via kudoskitchenbyrenee.com

I adapted Sarah's original recipe by making an Asian inspired dressing for the coleslaw instead of making a pan sauce, and also by using that dressing as a dipping sauce for the chicken. Other than that, I followed her recipe and instructions for breading and frying the chicken. The lightness of this batter is incredible, and surprisingly it only takes two simple ingredients; egg whites and cornstarch.

The only thing negative I encountered was some excessive spitting and sputtering of the hot oil as the chicken was cooking but I'm pretty sure that was because I used too much oil. Oh well, I guess I didn't follow Sarah's instructions all that well, so don't be like me, and use what the recipe calls for! *wink*

SESAME CHICKEN SALAD   {PRINT THIS RECIPE}
Servings: 4      Prep Time: 15 minutes      Cook Time: 15 minutes

For the slaw:
3 cups shredded cabbage
1 carrot, shredded
1/2 medium red onion shredded
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

For the dressing:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
dash red pepper flakes

For the chicken:
2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
4 egg whites
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons canola oil
honey to drizzle
sesame seeds to garnish

-Place the slaw ingredients in a large bowl. Mix.
-Meanwhile in a medium bowl whisk together all the dressing ingredients until smooth and creamy.
-Pour half of the dressing over the slaw and mix well to combine. Refrigerate the slaw and the remaining dressing until ready to eat.
-Whisk together the egg whites and cornstarch until the cornstarch is completely dissolved.
-Place the cut up chicken into the egg white mixture and stir to coat each piece.
-Working in batches, in a large, high sided skillet over medium high heat, carefully pan fry the chicken pieces in the oil on both sides until deeply golden in color. *Note - have a spatter screen handy in case of spitting and sputtering oil.
-Remove the cooked chicken to a paper towel lined plate to continue pan frying the remaining chicken.
-To assemble the salad, place some of the slaw in the bottom of a bowl and top with the cooked chicken.
-Drizzle the chicken with honey and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
-Serve and enjoy!



Thank you so much for sharing your recipe Sarah. This will be one I'll use time and again as my entire family loved the light fresh flavors. It's a perfect salad for the hot summer months!

Speaking of Asian flavors, please allow me to share with you my sushi lovers painted wine glass ;)

Sushi Lovers painted wine glass via kudoskitchenbyrenee.com
If there is ever anything I can paint for you, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop which is located within the navigation bar. Custom orders are always welcome, and I can work from any photo or description you send my way.
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art and fun collide on a regular basis!

To see all the other delicious recipes from July's #SRC members, please click on their links below.
   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   


Until we eat again,


Labels: , , , , , ,