Ricotta Lemon Cookies with Almonds

Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Almonds Recipe

As I was clearing out my fridge (something I need to do a whole lot more often), I found some ricotta cheese  in the back that was nearing its expiration date. Since I always have lemons in the fridge, and I have always wanted to make lemon ricotta cookies...now was the perfect time to make these Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Almonds.

There is a ton of recipes on-line for ricotta cookies and the one I chose to work from is Lidia's from Lidia's Italy. The only thing I did different to Lidia's recipe is that I added some chopped, toasted almonds because I adore nuts in just about everything, and I swapped out the vanilla extract for almond extract! Naturally, if you're not a nut lover (or you're baking for someone with a nut allergy), this ingredient is entirely optional. I also played around just a bit with Lidia's icing, and to finish I decided to garnish the cookies with just a tiny pinch of fresh lemon zest for that little touch of color. Sorry for the changes Lidia, but I think you would actually approve!

Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Almonds Recipe

These cookies are incredibly tender and cake-like due to the ricotta cheese, so if you're looking for a crispy cookie with a lot of crunch, you'd better move along. However, if you're looking for a luscious lemon cookie that you can really sink your teeth into, you'd better print this recipe now ;)

RICOTTA LEMON COOKIES WITH ALMONDS   {PRINT THIS RECIPE}
Yield: 3 1/2 dozen    

For the cookies:
1 stick butter, softened to room temperature (I always use salted but you can use unsalted if you prefer)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons lemon zest
pinch of kosher salt
1 cup of chopped, toasted almonds (optional)

For the icing:
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
2 tablespoons lemon zest (for garnish)

-Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
-In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl with a hand mixer), cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
-Add the eggs (one at a time) and beat well after each addition, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
-Blend in the ricotta cheese and almond extract.
-In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, lemon zest and salt.
-Working in increments, slowly add the flour mixture into the ricotta mixture (1/3 at a time), mixing each addition until just combined. *Note - The less you mix, the more tender the cookies will be.
-Add in the nuts and blend until just combined.
-Drop the dough by tablespoons onto parchment lined baking sheets (12-15 per sheet).
-Bake for 22-25 minutes in preheated oven, rotating the cookie sheets half way through baking.
-Cool completely on wire rack before ricing.
-To make the icing, stir together the powdered sugar, lemon juice and almond extract until smooth.
-Dip the tops of each cooled cookie into the icing allowing the excess to drip off.
-Garnish the wet icing with a pinch of lemon zest on each cookie.
-Serve and enjoy!



Ricotta Lemon Cookies with Almonds Recipe


If you're at all interested in making your own homemade ricotta cheese, it's easier than you might think and I've got a great recipe for you to try. Check it out HERE.

If you're at all interested in making your own homemade Limoncello (to wash down these lovely, lemony cookies), it's also easier than you might think. I've got a great recipe for you to try. Check it out HERE.

And...if you're going to be making your own homemade Limoncello, why not store and serve it in your own custom painted alcohol bottle? It's sure to take the entire experience to a whole other level :)

Homemade Limoncello Painted Bottle and glasses via kudoskitchenbyrenee.com
If there is ever anything I can paint for you, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop which is located within the navigation bar. Custom orders (like this one) are always welcome, and I can work from any photo or description you send my way!
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art and fun collide on a regular basis!

Thanks for stopping by!
Until we eat again,

Labels: , , ,