Sweet Potato Pancakes with Apples and Pecans #SRC

Sweet Potato Pancake Recipe via kudoskitchenbyrenee.com

This month's edition of The Secret Recipe Club (#SRC as it's so lovingly referred) had me assigned to, and actively perusing the recipes of Shirley from Enriching Your Kid. While I was there, I found many great recipes that I bookmarked and want to eventually try. Ultimately for this month I landed on her recipe for Sweet Potato Crepes that I adapted with a few additional ingredients, and where much to my chagrin, they morphed into an entirely different form. Let me explain...

The one thing I've learned (well, there have been several over the years, but this lesson stands out to me today) is that while cooking and baking, learning to adapt is the key to being successful!

Why am I telling you this, you ask? Because while I had hoped to make this recipe as pretty little crepes that were filled with apples and pecans, I struggled like crazy with my pans (I tried 3 different ones) and ruined more batter than I care to disclose. Ultimately, after many failed attempts, I decided to turn Shirley's crepes into pancakes because I knew I could be successful with pancakes...and happily, I was! Whew! *wiping brow with the back of my hand*

Sweet Potato Pancakes via kudoskitchenbyrenee.com

Yield: Approximately 10-12  6" pancakes     Prep Time: 30 minutes

For the pancakes:
1 cups diced sweet potatoes, boiled in lightly salted water until tender. Drain and keep warm.
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons melted butter (please additional for the skillet)

For the apples and pecans:
2 tart/sweet apples (I used pink lady), peeled and diced into 1/2" pieces
3/4 cup water
pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
2 tablespoons maple syrup (plus additional for serving)
2 tablespoons butter
toasted chopped pecans for garnish (if desired)

To make the apple and pecan topping:
-In a medium sized pan over medium/high heat, cook the apples in the water until softened and the water has evaporated (approximately 15 minutes).
-Reduce the heat to low and stir in the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup and butter. Cook for approximately 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.
-Stir in the nuts (if desired) and serve warm, on top of the pancakes.

To make the pancakes:
-In a large bowl, mash the cooked sweet potatoes.
-Whisk in the milk, eggs, flour, baking powder nutmeg, cinnamon and 2 tablespoons melted butter.
-In a large skillet over medium heat, melt a little butter and then add the sweet potato batter.
-Cook until bubbles form. Flip and cook the other side until browned. Remove pancakes from the skillet and keep warm.
-Continue the same process with the remaining batter.
-Serve the pancakes with the apple and pecan topping and additional maple syrup if desired.

Sweet Potato Pancakes via kudoskitchenbyrenee.com

Now that I've divulged my deep, dark secret of how I messed up this recipe, but in the long run came up with a a dish I was very please with, and that had great flavor...Tell me, has this kind of thing ever happened to you in the kitchen? And what was the mishap that led you to a wonderful new recipe in your kitchen? Inquiring minds want to know! LOL.

Want to see more great recipes from group D of the #SRC members for the month of June? Just click on the photos below and feast your eyes on what they've cooked up for you this month...I hope you're hungry!!!


    An InLinkz Link-up

Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , , ,