Compound Radish Butter with Thyme

Compound Radish Butter with Thyme Recipe via kudoskitchenbyrenee.com

I've always wanted to go to France. I'm not sure when I'll actually be fortunate enough to go, but I know that someday I will. Until that time, I'll have to make do with this recipe for Compound Radish Butter with Thyme.

Years ago I remember watching Ina Garten in an old episode of The Barefoot Contessa where she was telling about how French children would eat radish and butter sandwiches, sprinkled with a little salt, as an after school treat. Ina's story has always stuck with me because I thought it an odd combination but one I was very intrigued by.

When we started growing radishes in our own backyard garden a few years ago, I just knew I'd have to put my own spin on this classic French delicacy.


This Compound Radish Butter with Thyme is to be used as a spread for crackers and breads. Its taste is sweet from the butter, and tangy because of the wonderful bite the fresh radishes provide. After spreading, sprinkle with a little additional salt and close your eyes... The next thing you'll know is you'll be standing atop the Eiffel Tower singing That's Amoré!


COMPOUND RADISH BUTTER WITH THYME   {PRINT THIS RECIPE}

2 sticks butter, softened to room temperature (I used unsalted)
5-6 fresh radishes, cleaned and finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt (plus additional for sprinkling)
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon honey
Crackers and crusty bread for serving

-Place all ingredients into a bowl and stir well to combine.
-Serve at room temperature with crackers and crusty bread slices.
-Sprinkle with additional salt if desired.

What the French suggest is that you serve with a wonderful, light bodied and crisp white wine (not to the school children of course) and relax!! You've earned some time off to take a vacation...even if it is only 15 minutes long!

If there is ever anything I can paint for you, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop which is located within the navigation bar. Custom orders are always welcome, and I can work from any photo or description you send my way.
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art and fun collide on a regular basis!

Until we eat again,





Labels: , , , , , ,