Asian Inspired Pork Meatballs

These Asian Inspired Pork Meatballs are so good that I've actually enjoyed them cold, right out of the fridge, for breakfast. Wait. I think that's pretty normal for me around here! LOL

I found the inspiration for this recipe in a new cookbook I recently purchased called "The Complete Low-Carb Cookbook" by George Stella (page 79) and made my own adaptions to what I found in George's original recipe. I'm pretty sure that even with the changes I've made, they're still considered low-carb (or at least lower-carb), if you don't count the addition of brown rice that I've used as the bedding for these delicious meatballs.

These pork meatballs are relatively light in flavor and texture. The mixture of the pork and some prepared ponzu sauce (found in the International aisle of your grocery store) gives them a light citrusy flavor, and the teriyaki and ground ginger give them a wonderful mouthwatering bite and slightly spicy headiness. Oh yeah!

Serve these meatballs alone (for the low-carb version) or on top of some brown rice, as I've shown here. Then, top them with some green onions slices and some fragrant orange zest strips for an added bonus of texture and flavor! You'll find that these meatballs are over-the-top fabulous and worthy of being eaten cold, for breakfast, right out of the fridge! Or maybe that's just me! :)

Serves: 6-8       Prep Time:  10 minutes     Cook Time: 30 minutes

For the meatballs:
2 pounds lean ground pork
1 large egg
1 medium shallot, minced
2 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons ponzu sauce
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons peanut oil
For the sauce:
1 1/2 cups orange juice
2 teaspoons sesame oil
3 tablespoons ponzu
2/3 cup water
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 scallions, sliced
1 tablespoon orange zest

-In a large bowl mix together the first 9 ingredients for the meatballs.
-Form the meat mixture into golf ball sized meatballs.
-Brown the meatballs on all sides in a large skillet over medium/high heat in the peanut oil. *Note - This is best done in two batches.
-Once all the meatballs are browned, remove them to a covered bowl to keep warm.
-In the same skillet, reduce the heat to medium and deglaze the pan with the first 5 ingredients for the sauce, making sure to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
-Cook the sauce for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
-Return the meatballs back into the skillet along with the sauce.
-Cover and cook on medium heat for approximately 15 minutes or until they are no longer pink in the middle.
-To serve, sprinkle the meatballs with the sliced scallions and the orange zest. If desired place the meatballs on top of some brown rice first, and spoon some of the sauce over the meatballs.

What's that? You're looking for more Asian Inspired recipes? Well, I just so happen to have a few more. Please click on the following for:

Pad Thai My Way:

Asian Peanut Slaw:

Fried Rice Frittata:

And naturally this Mulan princess painted wine glass fits in well with the today's Asian theme. Cheers to good food plus fun and whimsical painted wine glasses :)

Mulan princess painted wine glass -
If there is ever anything I can paint for you, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop which is located within the navigation bar. Custom orders are always welcome, and I can work from any photo or description you send my way.

Kudos Kitchen by ReneƩ ~ Where food, art and fun collide on a regular basis!

Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , ,