Chicken Oscar and Zip Lining

Chicken Oscar Recipe -

My take on Chicken Oscar (Kudos Kitchen Style) was inspired by a local trip that my husband and I recently took with some friends to go zip lining in beautiful Ottawa, Illinois, which is a couple of hours Southwest of where we live. To see my Buggl travel guide on this particular trip, click here. I'm also happy to tell you that I've entered this recipe and post in the 1,2,3 Cook and Snap Recipe contest which is sponsored by The Foodie Blogroll and also There is a $500 prize at steak (make that chicken) and I'd sure appreciate your vote if you think my recipe looks like a winner >>  VOTE HERE
Thanks for your consideration :)

If you're wondering how in the world this recipe could have possibly been inspired by a zip lining adventure, that's a good question. It wasn't actually the zip lining that inspired it, but our celebratory "We did it!" dinner afterwards at Hank's Farm Restaurant in Ottawa, Illinois that inspired it.

I knew after my plate had arrived, and I'd taken my first bite, that this would be a recipe I wanted to recreate in my own kitchen. Here's the picture of Hank's Chicken Oscar that I took on my phone that night at dinner.

As you can see from the photo's my finished dish doesn't look much like Hanks (because I added a ton more crab it so wrong?), but the flavor was out of this world delicious and it's a dish I'm very, very proud of.

But, before I go any further with my Chicken Oscar recipe recreation, let me take a moment to share a little more about our zip lining adventure. It was a BLAST!

Have you ever felt like you were in a rut and that you needed to do something to break out of your comfort zone, and do something to make your heart race a little? Yeah, that's how I was feeling too, so my husband surprised me by booking a "zip trip" with Zip Chicago, "Chicago's New Canopy Zipline Tour."

We went the Friday before Memorial Day and the weather couldn't have been better. Our good friends P and J came with us on our excursion, and we laughed the entire way there in the car. Who would have guessed that one day we'd all be zipping through the trees, hundreds of feet off the ground? That's a lot to laugh about!

Once we got to Zip Chicago, they gave us pretty extensive instructions on how to put on all the safety gear (i.e. harnesses, cables, helmets) and went through the thorough list of what to do, and what not to do while zipping. We were all pretty nervous at that point and I remember thinking  "I can hardly believe we're doing this!"

That first run was pretty scary but as the day wore on we all were truly enjoying each and every run (8 total), and at the end of the day, I'm happy to report that we all felt pretty confident as zip lining aficionados and that we would all definitely do it again another time, another place!

Here's a video I took of my husband, Mark on the longest run that day. The sound you hear is the cable as he comes zipping down the line at about 45 mph. Keep your eye on the top, middle part of the screen and you'll eventually see a red speck coming toward you. That's him! LOL!!  Hard to imagine!

This is our zipping group after our long, tiring, but invigorating day. Now, back to the hotel for a celebratory cocktail and then out to dinner.

That was fun time and some great, back to the recipe at hand...

Thinly sliced chicken breasts are first marinated in white wine and Dijon. They are then coated in panko and breadcrumbs and pan fried to a beautiful golden brown. Top them with some nutty Swiss cheese and a lovely crab mixture that has a touch of mayonnaise for creaminess and some seafood seasoning to bring out the zip! Next comes a light and flavorful butter wine sauce and some steamed asparagus to top it all off!

Chicken Oscar Recipe -

Please note, when I made this recipe I made enough to feed a small army (it's weird, but it's how I cook) so you'll notice in the photos that there are 7 chicken breasts. The recipe I'm writing and sharing with you today feeds 4 people because I've scaled my own recipe back in ingredient measurements to make it more accessible. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave them in the comments section or send me an email and I'll be happy to answer them for you!

Serves: 4       Prep Time: 25-30 minutes        Bake Time:  30-35 minutes

For the marinade:
1/4 cup white wine (I used a Pino Grigio)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
*Note - marinate the chicken breasts for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours in the refrigerator. Discard after use.

For the breading:
1 cup panko (I used whole wheat)
1 cup bread crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

For the crab topping:
1 - 8 ounce can of crab meat (I used Phillips, found in the refrigerated seafood case at the market)
1/8 cup plus 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon white wine (I used a Pino Grigio)
pinch of seafood seasoning (I used Chesapeake Bay)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
*Note - You can make the crab topping in advance and keep it in the refrigerator until ready to use.

For the sauce:
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/4 cup white wine (I used Pino Grigio)
1/4 cup chicken stock
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
*Note - You can make the sauce in advance but make sure to whisk it right before topping the chicken.

4 thinly sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons canola oil
4-6 slices Swiss cheese
1 bunch asparagus
1/4 cup chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste

-Place the chicken breasts in a large zip lock bag.
-In a small bowl, whisk the marinade ingredients together and pour into the zip lock bag with the chicken.
-Allow the chicken to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes but no longer than 2 hours.
-While the chicken in marinating, in a small sauce pan over medium/low heat, bring the sauce ingredients to a boil to reduce by half, whisking occasionally. Set aside.
-In a large but shallow dish, combine the breading ingredients.
-Place each marinated chicken breast in the breading and coat both sides of the chicken evenly with the breading, making sure to press the chicken firmly into the crumbs.
-In a large skillet over medium/high heat, pan fry the coated chicken breasts on both sides in the canola oil until they're turn a nice golden brown. Remove to a rimmed baking sheet or a casserole dish.
-Top each chicken breast with the Swiss Cheese slices.
-In a small bowl, stir together all the crab topping ingredients and top each browned chicken breast evenly  with the crab mixture, over top of the Swiss cheese.
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Steam the asparagus spears in 1/4 cup of chicken broth in the microwave or on the stove top until fork tender. Discard the liquid.
-Top each chicken and crab Oscar with 4-5 steamed asparagus spears, season lightly with salt and pepper to taste, and pour the sauce over top of each one.
-Bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, the cheese has melted and the crab mixture is hot.
-Serve and enjoy.

Whew, I know that seems like an awful lot of steps and a lot of instructions but I guarantee you that they're all worth it! I do hope you'll choose to try my recipe and will let me know what you think of it when you do.

Now I'd like to coordinate this, my new favorite recipe with this, one of my all time favorite wine glass designs. It just seems like favorites should go together!

Book Lovers Painted Wine Glass -
If there is ever anything I can paint for you, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop which is located within the navigation bar. Custom orders are always welcome, and I can work from any photo or description you send my way.

Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art and fun collide on a regular basis!
Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,