Wild Rice and Onion Bread

The nutty flavor and chewy texture of the wild rice make this loaf unlike any other you'll bake or taste. It will soon become a family favorite!

Wild Rice and Onion Bread

I took A LOT of liberties with this month's recipe of Wild Rice and Onion Bread for the Bread Baking Babes and Buddies, and when I say liberties what I really mean is shortcuts.

I really didn't know what to expect when I cut out the rise time on this bread from the original instructions of "refrigerate overnight, or up to 4 days" to what I decided to ultimately do: 1 hour rise in a warm, draft free place (I like to use my oven which has been warmed to 170 degrees then allowed to cool slightly).

I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.

After the first rise went better than I would have expected I also decided to "free form" this bread making it into two rustic rounds. Yes, I took the easier "rustic" way out (see? more shortcuts!) LOL

Much to my delight, the results were just wonderful! The color on my bread was lovely. The crumb was dense and firm, and the taste was outstanding! What more can you ask for?

Wile Rice and Onion Bread

Yield: 2 loaves    Prep Time: 2 1/2 hours (including rise time and wild rice cook time)  Bake Time: 30 min.
5-6 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon instant yeast
1 1/2 cups wild rice, cooked and cooled
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water (110-115 degrees)
1/2 cup lukewarm half and half
1/4 cup minced dried onions
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon water

-Cook the wild rice according to package directions. Cool.  *Note - I used beef stock in place of the water to cook the rice for added flavor.
-Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and stir well with a wooden spoon. OR place all the ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer and use the dough hook to incorporate all the ingredients. *Note - The dough will be shaggy and some of the flour will not be fully incorporated.
-Turn the dough out onto your work surface and allow the dough to rest for 5 minutes.
-After the dough has rested, knead the dough until it is fairly soft and elastic. *Note - If the dough still seems too dry, add a touch more water and continue kneading. If the dough seems too wet and sticky, add a touch more flour and continue kneading.
-Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
-Place the dough in a warm, draft free place for one hour (or until the dough had doubled in bulk).
-Punch the dough down, divide it in half.
-Form 2 round rustic loaves onto 2 parchment lined baking sheets.
-Allow the loaves to rise again until doubled (about 1 hour).
-In a small bowl, stir together the egg and water. Brush the egg wash gently over each loaf.
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Bake the loaves in a preheated oven to 30 minutes and beautifully golden brown, or until the loaves sound hallow when tapped.
-Cool completely on a wire rack.
-Slice and serve.

Wild Rice and Onion Bread Recipe

This month's Bread Baking Babes and Buddies (#BBB) recipe was chosen by Karen, of Bake My Day and her recipe was adapted from the book Artisan Breads Every Day by Peter Reinhardt.

What a great choice Karen! Thank you for choosing such a tasty bread and I'm sorry that I was so impatient that I skipped the refrigeration step, but can you blame me? LOL I love that this recipe made two large loaves, so we ate one right away and I wrapped the other one well and stuck it in the freezer so we can enjoy in at a later date. YUM!

The current dozen "babes" are listed below but we're always looking for other buddies (like me) to bake along. Every month there is a new bread chosen by one of the listed "babes" and then we "buddies" have until the end of that month to bake along (adaptations are welcome) and post our experiences. It's so much fun. If you're interested in joining in on all the delicious fun, check out the additional information from the blog postings below.

The Bread Baking Babes (current dozen) are:

All you knead is love bread bakers apron.

If there is ever anything I can paint for you, from aprons to tea towels, to glassware, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop on Etsy. Custom orders are always welcome. Together we give the gifts that people remember.

Thanks for visiting!!
Until we bake again,


Labels: , ,