Mixed Berry and Almond Oatmeal Coffeecake

Mixed Berry Almond Oatmeal Coffeecake Recipe via Kudos Kitchen by Renee

It was a beautiful Sunday morning and I was sitting out on the deck flipping through a new copy of Cooking Light magazine and having a cup of tea when I ran across their recipe for Blueberry Coffeecake with Almond Streusel. Within moments, I was up and in the kitchen whipping up my adapted version.

I didn't have any fresh blueberries on hand in my kitchen, but I did have some frozen assorted mixed berries in my freezer, so I continued on as happy as a little clam. I also decided to use coconut palm sugar in place of the granulated sugar, and then to offset that healthy substitution I decided to drizzle melted butter over the top right before baking. Is it so wrong? LOL


MIXED BERRY AND ALMOND OATMEAL COFFEECAKE  {PRINT THIS RECIPE}
Yield - 12 slices       Prep Time: 15 minutes     Bake time: 50 minutes

2 cups all-purpose flour (plus 1 tablespoon for the berries)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup quick cooking oats (plus 3 tablespoons for topping)
3/4 cup coconut palm sugar (or granulated sugar)
1 lemon, zested (about 1 tablespoon) and juiced (about 2 tablespoons juice)
2 cups frozen berries that have been thawed and very well drained
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons sliced almonds
2 tablespoons butter, melted

-Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
-In a large bowl, whisk together the 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, 1/4 cup oats and the coconut palm sugar (or granulated sugar) and lemon zest. Set aside.
-In a medium bowl, toss the drained berries with the additional 1 tablespoon of flour.
-In a large bowl with a hand mixer, or the bowl of a stand mixer, blend together the softened butter, oil, egg, milk, and the reserved lemon juice.
-Add the flour mixture gradually to the egg and oil mixture until it just comes together.
-Add the berries and use a spoon or spatula to gently fold them into the batter.
-Spoon the batter into a 8"x 8" baking dish that has been sprayed with baking spray.
-Sprinkle the top with 3 tablespoons oats, sliced almonds and drizzle with the 2 tablespoons melted butter.
-Bake in a preheated oven for 45-50 or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
-Allow to cool completely and serve.


Yum! You're going to love this recipe because it's not overly sweet and the almonds give such a nice crunch to the topping. Feel free to substitute your favorite berries in this recipe and by all means, go fresh when you can. For me this was an unplanned breakfast so I went with what I had available at the time.


Now, go grab yourself a cup of coffee or tea and head back out onto the deck to enjoy a little Sunday morning rest and rejuvenation time :)

Fruit Farm custom painted coffee mugs via Kudos Kitchen by Renee
If there is ever anything I can paint for you, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop which is located within the navigation bar. Custom orders (like this one shown) are always welcome. I can work from any photo or description you send my way!
For a few additional recipes with fruit (fresh or frozen) please check out some of my other recipes for:
Mixed Berry Margarita's, Peggy's Cove Blueberry Grunt, Red, White and Blueberry Trifle and Strawberry Bread with Rhubarb and Bananas.

Thanks for visiting!
Until we eat again,


Labels: , , , ,