Herbed Soda Bread

Herbed Soda Bread Recipe via Kudos Kitchen by Renee

This simple Herbed Soda Bread has a big, bold flavor and a nice, hearty crumb! It comes together in a flash, has only a handful of ingredients, and smells divine while it's baking in the oven. What more can you ask for?


I owe this White Soda Bread with Herbs recipe to Carola over at Sweet and That's It as she picked it for May's edition of Back To The Future Buddies. The only difference I did with my bread than was called for in the original recipe was that I baked mine in a loaf pan instead of making a round "free form" loaf. Oh, and I added a little shredded asiago cheese to the top, just for fun!

Herbed Soda Bread Recipe via Kudos Kitchen by Renee

Another thing I especially love about this recipe is that you can use whatever herbs you favor most, or whatever herbs you have on hand. This time I used a combination of sage, rosemary and thyme but next time I think I'll use some dill and maybe a little cilantro.

Since planting our herb garden last weekend the flavor of this Herbed Soda Bread will constantly be changing as our abundant herbs proliferate during the summer months. I can't wait to experiment with all the flavors combinations!


HERBED SODA BREAD    {PRINT THIS RECIPE}
Yield: 1 loaf      Prep Time: 10 minutes    Bake Time: 40 minutes

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons each, chopped rosemary, thyme and sage
1 3/4 cup buttermilk
olive oil spray
1 1/2 tablespoon shredded asiago cheese

-Preheat oven to 450 degrees
-In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda and herbs.
-Stir in the buttermilk until the ingredients are blended, but do not over stir.
-Prepare a loaf pan by spraying with olive oil spray.
-Spoon the batter into the loaf pan, making sure the dough spread evenly in the pan.
-Sprinkle the asiago cheese over top of the dough.
-Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10 minutes.
-Reduce the heat of the oven to 400 degrees and continue baking for an additional 30 minutes or until the bread sounds hallow when tapped and is nicely golden brown.
-Remove to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes and then turn the loaf out of the pan to cool completely.
-Slice and serve as desired.


Herbed Soda Bread Recipe via Kudos Kitchen by Renee

If your interested in baking along with the Back To The Future Buddies, it's easy to do. Just click here for the rules and then be ready to join in the fun!

Here are some of the other Back To The Future Buddies  bread recipes I've participated in over the past few months. I've sincerely loved each and every one and I hope you will too...

Cuban Bread Bowls:


Beirut Tahini Swirls:


Braided Challah Bread:


Ahhhh, there is nothing like the smell of fresh home baked bread to make you feel all cozy...and hungry :)

French Bread Waiter Hand Painted Trivet via Kudos Kitchen by Renee
If there is ever anything I can paint for you (glassware or ceramic tiles), please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop which is located with the navigation bar. Custom orders are always welcome and I can work from any photo or description you send my way.

Kudos Kitchen by ReneƩ ~ Where food, art and fun collide on a regular basis!

Until we eat again,



Labels: , , , , , , , ,