Challah French Toast

Challah French Toast Recipe via Kudos Kitchen By Renee

Can I tell you a little secret? I've never been a big fan on sweet breakfasts. Pancakes, waffles and French toast are things that never really tempt me. Until now, that is. A few weeks ago I made a Braided Challah Bread for the "Back To The Future Baking Buddies" group I'm involved with and loved it so, so much that I just knew it would be superb as French toast.

Ready for another secret from me? I've never been a big fan of cooking breakfast in the morning. I LOVE going out to eat breakfast in restaurants, but as far as starting a Saturday or Sunday morning in the kitchen whipping up a big breakfast (and making all the dirty dishes that go along with it) thanks.

But slowly, all that is changing and for the past few weekends I find myself more and more in the kitchen whisking eggs, frying bacon, starting the day with dirty dishes...and enjoying it! *sigh*

Challah French Toast Recipe

Serves: 4-6       Prep Time: 10 minutes     Cook Time: 15 minutes

12 slices Challah bread (store bought or homemade), cut into 1 1/2" thick slices
4 eggs
1 cup milk (I used 2%)
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons maple syrup, plus additional for topping
butter for frying
powdered sugar

-In a large shallow dish (a pie pan works perfectly) whisk together the eggs, milk, extracts, cinnamon and 2 tablespoons maple syrup.
-Add the Challah slices, 1 or two at a time to the egg mixture, flipping to coat both sides.
-In a large skillet over medium heat, add about 1 tablespoon butter and a few slices of the egg Challah.
-Cook until golden brown on the first side and then flip to cook the second side the exact same way.
-Remove to a platter to keep warm and continue the same process with the remaining Challah slices.
-Serve hot with additional maple syrup and/or powdered sugar if desired.

Wanna know something else? I'm hungry just looking at this again! LOL
The times, they are a changing :)

Just a spoonful of maple syrup makes the medicine go down. Er. Um. Better make that sugar, but I bet maple syrup would work too ;)

Mary Poppins Painted Coffee mug via Kudos Kitchen By Renee

Looking for more delicious breakfast dishes to start your weekend with? Great! Me too. Please check out my other recipes for:

Fast and Easy Sausage and Egg Quesadillas:

Ham and Cheese Strata:

Blueberry Sausage Casserole:

Blueberry Peach Pancakes:

Kudos Kitchen By ReneƩ ~ Where food, art and fun collide on a regular basis!

Until we eat again,

Labels: , , ,