Rghaif Stuffed with Pistachios and Cheese for #BreadBakingBabesandFriends

Kudos Kitchen By Renee -  Rghaif Stuffed with Pistachios and Cheese Recipe

At first I thought I'd made my rghaif (stuffed Moroccan pancakes) all wrong because they weren't all flat and lovely like all the photos I'd seen of others' rghaif. Of course not everyone in the #BreadBakingBabes had decided to stuff theirs, but I still felt as though mine were just too big and bulky. The good news about my rghaif or rgaif (I've seen both spellings) is the taste! I filled mine with some shredded, smoked Gouda and Gruyere cheeses along with some chopped pistachios. What can possibly be wrong with that? LOL

This North African dough is magnificent to work with. I decided to roll, and not stretch my dough, and I was amazed at how thin and pliable it became. I suspect the oiling of the dough balls has much to do with that. Once filled and pan fried, the results and taste were truly incredible. At that point, I honestly didn't care how thick my rghaif were! They were yummy (which is the whole point to cooking anyway), and I could relax knowing that the flat bread police would not be knocking at my door because I did it wrong.

Kudos Kitchen By Renee - Rghaif Stuffed with Pistachios and Cheese Recipe

I played around just slightly with the original rgaif dough that Lien, of Notitie Van Lien, who is the host of this month, posted on her introduction to this Moroccan flat bread. The fillings were something I decided upon after a little thought, and seeing what I had available in my pantry and fridge.

I think more than anything I can't wait to make these again and use different fillings and combinations of ingredients. The possibilities are endless, and I can see these filled with all manor of sweet and savory concoctions! The fact that they're so easy to make, and take virtually no time, has me thinking about all sorts of easy weeknight dinner ideas which I get completely excited about! Think homemade hot pockets!

Kudos Kitchen By Renee - Rghaif Stuffed with Pistachios and Cheese

Yield - 9 stuffed sandwiches     Prep Time: 20 minutes     Cook Time: 3-5 minutes per sandwich

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sprouted wheat flour
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped pistachios
4 ounces smoked Gouda, shredded
2 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
canola oil for pan frying

-In a large bowl of a stand mixer, stir together the flours, yeast and salt.
-Attach the dough hook, and with the mixer on low, slowly add the warm water to the flour and yeast mixture until it comes together into a ball, and doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl.
-Divide the dough mixture into 9 even dough balls and use the olive oil to coat each ball liberally (I used my hands to do this).
-Place the balls on a baking sheet and allow the dough to rest for approximately 5 minutes.
-Flatten each ball with your hand and then use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into a circular shape taking care to roll them as thin as possible. *Note - There is no need to flour the work surface because the thin oil coating will keep the dough from sticking to the work surface.
-Place approximately 1 tablespoon of nuts and 1 tablespoon of cheeses into the center of each circle.
-Fold the edges of the dough evenly over the filling to form a packet. Press lightly to seal.
-Place the filled dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet and continue the same process with the remaining dough balls.
-Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat.
-In approximately 1 tablespoon of canola oil per batch (I cooked mine in batches of 2 and 3), fry the filled rghaif on both sides until they're deeply golden brown and crispy.
-Best served warm.

Kudos Kitchen By Renee - Rghaif Stuffed with Pistachios and Cheese Recipe

One of the things that I love about being a part of these specialty groups like the #BreadBakingBabes (other than making friends who share my same passion for food) is that I get to experiment with recipes and techniques that I might not have tried on my own. Though I've only been participating as a "friend" of the #BBB for several months they are a talented collection of bakers and bloggers who have just celebrated 6 years together as a group. Just imagine all the recipes they've baked, and challenged themselves with over that amount of time. Priceless!

Want to know who the actual #BBB (Bread Baking Babes) are so maybe you'll decided to join us in the future and become a friend, just like me? Check out their links below and start baking along. It's a fun way to make new friends and add new and exciting recipes into your kitchen repertoire :)

The current bakers dozen are:
I had wondered which one of my painted glassware items I could coordinate with this recipe, and then it hit me. How about this one that looks a little like a Moroccan design? Plus the colors are similar to the #BBB badge. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. LOL

Kudos Kitchen By Renee - Moroccan Inspired Wine Glass
If there is ever anything I can paint for you, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop which is located in the navigation bar. Custom orders are always welcome and I can work from any photo or description you send my way.
Kudos Kitchen By Reneé ~ Where food and art collide on a regular basis!

Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , ,