Deconstructed Strawberry Pie with Cinnamon Whipped Cream and Chocolate Ganache

Kudos Kitchen By Renee - Deconstructed Strawberry Pie Recipe

Sometimes ideas for recipes keep me awake at night. If I didn't think the sound of my stand mixer whipping up cinnamon whipped cream would bother my family in the middle of the night, I probably would have been baking and assembling these Deconstructed Strawberry Pies with Cinnamon Whipped Cream and Chocolate Ganache at 2:00 in the morning.

I came up with the idea for these little deconstructed strawberry pies when the call went out for a monthly recipe and photo competition called 1,2,3 Cook and Snap, which is run and hosted by The Foodie Blogroll. Naturally February's theme is Valentine's Day and the three ingredients that must be used in this month's submission are strawberries, chocolate and cinnamon.

Kudos Kitchen By Renee - Deconstructed Strawberry Pie Recipe

When I think of cinnamon, my mind always goes to a little something my mom used to make called crust pie. I believe the idea was handed down to her from my grandma, her mother-in-law. The idea for crust pie is simple. Sprinkle the scraps of dough that you have left over when rolling out pie crust with cinnamon and sugar and bake them until crispy. Those flaky little crust pie morsels are almost better than the pie themselves, and I fondly remember crust pie being one of my dad's absolute favorite things to munch on. My inspiration for these Deconstructed Strawberry Pies with Cinnamon Whipped Cream and Chocolate Ganache are my mom, dad, and his mom, my grandma. Seems like a fitting tribute for Valentine's Day and I'd like to dedicate this recipe to the three of them!

For the crust pie:
Pie dough for 2 - 9" round pie crusts (store bought or homemade)
1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 1/2 cup thinly sliced strawberries

For the chocolate ganache:
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate morsels
3 tablespoons heavy cream

For the cinnamon whipped cream:
1 pint heavy cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 1/2 tablespoons powdered sugar

For the crust pie:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Place the metal bowl and whip of a stand mixer in the fridge to cool while you prepare the crust pie.
*Note - the cold bowl and whip will make it easier and faster to whip the cream.
-On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough to 1/8" thickness and cut with a 3" cookie cutter. *Note - you'll need two hearts for each *pie*
-Place the cut pie crusts onto a parchment lined baking sheet and pierce each pie crust a couple of times with the tines of a fork.
-In a small bowl, stir together the granulated sugar and cinnamon.
-Sprinkle each pie crust liberally with the sugar/cinnamon mixture.
-Bake the crust pie shapes in a preheated oven for 17-20 minutes or until they're crispy and lightly browned. Cool.
-Slice the strawberries while the crust pies are baking and set aside.
To make the ganache:
-In a small microwave safe bowl, microwave the chocolate morsels on 50% power until melted (stirring occasionally). Stir in the heavy cream until smooth and glossy. Set aside.
To make the cinnamon whipped cream:
-In the chilled bowl of a stand mixer, whip the 1 pint heavy cream on high speed until stiff peaks start to form (approximately 3-4 minutes) *Note - start whipping the cream on low and gradually increase the speed to high.
-Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon and whip for an additional minute. Set aside.
To assemble the pies:
-Place the crust pies, cinnamon/sugar side up, on a plate or tray.
-Layer some of the thinly sliced strawberries onto the crusts.
-Drizzle the strawberries liberally with the chocolate ganache.
-Top the strawberries and ganache with a healthy dollop of cinnamon whipped cream.
-Top the cinnamon whipped cream with the final crust pie top, cinnamon sugar side up.
-Serve and enjoy :)

Kudos Kitchen By Renee - Deconstructed Strawberry Pie Recipe

Kudos Kitchen By Renee - Deconstructed Strawberry Pie Recipe

I hope you've enjoyed this recipe as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you! To coordinate with this recipe I've chosen this pair of chocolate covered strawberry champagne flutes. If you ask me a nice glass of champagne would be the perfect accompaniment to this lovely dessert. Cheers to that!

Kudos Kitchen By Renee - Chocolate Covered Strawberry Champagne Flutes
If there is ever anything I can paint for you, please don't hesitate to contact me or visit my shop which is located within the navigation bar. Custom orders are always welcome and I can work from any description or photo you send my way.

Kudos Kitchen By ReneƩ ~ Where food and art collide on a regular basis!

I'm happily linking up this post to Sweet Bella Roos Pin It Thursday link party!

Until we bake again,

Labels: , , , , , , ,