Gingered Pork with Orange Sauce for the Slow Cooker

Slow Cooker Gingered Pork with Orange Sauce Recipe

I recently took to my facebook page and asked an extremely important question: "Why types of recipes are you most looking forward to seeing from me in 2014?" and the answer was a resounding ~
"Slow Cooker Recipes!"

It is with that request, and specifically with you in mind that came up with this recipe for Gingered Pork with Orange Sauce. Using pretty basic items that I had in my pantry and freezer, I came up with one of the most delicious slow cooker recipes I've ever made.

Incredibly tender pork pieces swim in a slightly sweet, with a little spicy heat sauce that is made using sunflower butter, orange marmalade, teriyaki sauce and chicken stock. If you think that combination sounds intriguing, just wait until you taste it! This recipe received a unanimous two thumbs up from even the pickiest eater in my family.

Slow Cooker Gingered Pork with Orange Sauce Recipe

In addition to all that goodness, and to make this recipe even more tempting for you and specifically honor your second request for *lightened up and healthier* recipes, I used sugar free orange marmalade, low-fat pork tenderloin, low sodium beef broth and low sodium teriyaki sauce. Then I recommend you serve it over some healthy brown rice and a nice side veggie, and you'll have a wonderful dinner that will please even the pickiest of eaters!

SLOW COOKER GINGERED PORK WITH ORANGE SAUCE   {PRINT THIS RECIPE}
Prep Time: 30 minutes       Cook Time: 6-7 hours         Serves: 6 - 8

1- 2 to 2 1/2 pound pork tenderloin, cut into bite size pieces
salt, pepper and garlic powder to season the pork (to taste)
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 large red pepper, seeded and cut into 1" pieces
1/2 large red onion, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1" knob fresh ginger, grated
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 box (32 ounces) low sodium beef broth
3/4 cup sunflower butter
1 jar sugar free orange marmalade
1/2 cup low sodium teriyaki sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
brown rice for serving, cooked according to package directions.

-In a large Dutch oven over medium/high heat, brown the pork tenderloin in batches (using 1 teaspoon oil for each batch and season each batch with salt, pepper and garlic powder).
-Once browned, transfer the meat to the slow cooker.
-In the same Dutch oven, over medium/low heat add the red pepper, onion and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
-Add all the remaining ingredients to the veggies in the Dutch oven and cook until the sunflower butter has dissolved and the mixture is heated through.
-Carefully pour the sauce over the pork in the slow cooker and set the cooker to high.
-Cover, but vent (I use a wooden spoon to prop the lid open just a bit) and cook for 6-7 hours, stirring occasionally, if you're able. *Note - Venting the lid will allow the sauce to reduce and thicken slightly.
-Spoon the pork and sauce over a mound brown rice and serve.


Slow Cooker Gingered Pork with Orange Sauce Recipe

I thought the following glass would be a fun one to tie into this recipe using pork. This was a custom design I created a few years ago for a customer who was requesting a "When Pigs Fly" theme along with the Delta airline logo. I get some of the strangest requests sometimes, but I love it! LOL

When Pigs Fly wine glass
If there is ever anything I can paint for you, please don't hesitate to contact me. Custom orders are always welcome and I can work from any description or photo you send my way.  Plus, my shop doors are always open if you'd like to visit and have a look around!

Kudos Kitchen By ReneƩ ~ Where food and art collide on a regular basis!


I'm happily linking up this post to Sweet Bella Roos - Pin It Thursday Party. Thanks so much!

Until we eat again,









Labels: , , , , , , , , ,