Turkey, Apple, Bacon & Cheese Panini

One of my families favorite dinners is a panini sandwich. It's doesn't matter what's in between those two slices of bread, as long as it's stuffed full of meat, has some sort of cheese and is squashed down until it's all hot, melted and oozing, they're happy! Can't say I blame them!!

Turkey and Apple Panini Recipe

I took my inspiration for this sandwich from Jennifer Perillo and her cookbook, Homemade With Love: Simple Scratch Cooking from In Jennie's Kitchen.  I adapted Jennie's original recipe for her Apple, Cheddar & Pancetta Panini (found on page 79) to reflect my families preference for a panini stuffed with meat and I used two kinds of cheeses, Swiss and cheddar. While I was at it, I also substituted bacon for the pancetta (because it's what I had on hand), and instead of using butter to slather on the bread, I used mayonnaise. Other than that, the recipe is pretty much identical to Jennies! LOL

This recipe yields 8 hearty sandwiches. You can of course alter the recipe to make more or less depending on your family. That said, why not make as many as you can because they're really, really tasty the next day to throw in a lunch box or send off with your husband to work.

Yield: 8 sandwiches        Prep time: 20 minutes        Cook time: 15 minutes

16 slices country bread
16 slices of bacon that have been cooked and drained on paper towels
1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced (leave the skin on)
1 1/2 pounds of sliced turkey lunch meat
freshly ground black pepper
8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
8 slices Swiss cheese
Whole grain mustard, for spreading
Mayonnaise, for spreading

-Preheat a panini press or a large skillet to medium heat.

-To assemble the sandwiches, spread a thin layer of mayonnaise one one side of each slice of bread.

-Place the mayo side down and layer the remaining ingredients on the sandwich, like this:
  Bread (mayo side down), cheese, apple, turkey, black pepper, bacon, cheese, mustard and bread (mayo side up).
 *Note - I like to keep the cheeses directly next to the bread so as it melts, it acts like glue to hold   the sandwich together.

-Place the sandwiches in the panini press or in a skillet a few at a time (if using a skillet, press the sandwiches down with a heavy bottomed pot or pan) and cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheeses have melted, using a spatula flip each sandwich (if using a skillet) and brown the other side. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.

-Serve immediately.

*Note - If you're wrapping the sandwiches for later, make sure to use parchment paper to wrap them so the bread won't become soggy.

I find it odd that my Swiss cheese only had one small hole on all the slices I used (see photo four). Just thought it was too funny not to mention!

I hope you've enjoyed my take on Jennie's sandwich and will try it for yourself sometime. This is a perfect portable sandwich to munch on while watching your favorite shows on TV... no matter what they are!! This is a judgement free zone. Your secret is safe with me ;)

Real Housewives painted wine glass
                             *My custom painted wine glasses make great gifts.  Please contact me for more information.

                             Kudos Kitchen By Renee ~ Where food and art collide on a regular basis!

Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,