Sauteed Red Cabbage With Bacon And Brown Sugar

Honestly, I'm not sure why this cruciferous vegetable is called "red" cabbage when, clearly it's purple (and don't get me started on red onions) but, that's all besides the point! Today I'll share with you my amazing recipe for Sauteed Red Cabbage With Bacon And Brown Sugar that is one of my families favorite German side dishes.

Be warned, this dish doesn't photograph well, AT ALL, but the taste will knock your lederhosen off!!!

Sauteed Red Cabbage Recipe


SAUTEED RED CABBAGE WITH BACON AND BROWN SUGAR  {PRINT THIS RECIPE}
Serves:  6-8          Prep and cook time:  40 minutes

1 medium head of red cabbage, cored and sliced
1/2 pound of bacon, cut into 1" pieces
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar

-In a large stock pot over medium high heat, cook the bacon until almost crisp. Drain off some of the grease but leave about 2 tablespoons in the pan.

-Add in all of the sliced cabbage, butter, salt, pepper and garlic powder.

-Stir well and reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally about 15 minutes.

-Stir in the brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and the balsamic vinegar.

-Continue cooking, stirring occasionally for an additional 20-25 minutes until the cabbage is completely cooked down, softened and reduced in volume by about half.

-Serve.


To compliment this recipe, I've chosen one of my favorite designs to date. It's an art deco inspired wine glass and the deep purple color reminds me of RED cabbage! Ha Ha...Go figure!

Art Deco Painted Wine Glass

If there is ever anything I can paint for you, please don't hesitate to contact me. I specialize in custom designs and would love the opportunity to paint your blog design on a wine glass, mug or tile. I can work from any photo or description you send my way!

                                     Kudos Kitchen By Renee ~ Where food and art collide on a regular basis!!!






Labels: , , , , , , , , ,