Pork Schnitzel

Starting in October and throughout the winter some of my favorite comfort foods are of German descent. I suppose that is mostly because I too am of German descent, and to me they mean a return to the tastes and smells that I'm somewhat familiar with from when I was a little girl.

Oddly enough, our very best friends are also of German descent and J had even lived there as a young boy. P & J have visited German many times over the years, and I've always listened wistfully as they told their stories of the German pubs, the forests, the folk, the countryside, the foods and pastries they've experienced while there.

Germany is on the top of my bucket list of places I want to travel to. However, until the time that we are physically able to do that, we can at least take the trip in our mind and on our taste buds by recreating this old German classic, Pork Schnitzel!

Pork Schnitzel Recipe

I made this Pork Schnitzel to celebrate our dear friend P's birthday. I was completely thrilled to hear them both say that it was some of the best schnitzel they'd ever had. With P & J  being the authority of authentic German schnitzel, I took that as quite a compliment!!

Glad you enjoyed it, P! Happy Birthday to YOU!!!

Pork Schnitzel Recipe

PORK SCHNITZEL                       {PRINT THIS RECIPE}
Serves: 8-10         Prep Time: 20 minutes          Cook Time: 30 minutes

1  2-3 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed of silver skin and cut into 2" rounds.
salt and pepper
2 cups flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 eggs, whisked with 2 tablespoons water
3 cups panko breadcrumbs (more if needed)
canola oil for frying
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
lemon wedges for garnish and squeezing onto schnitzel

-Using a rolling pin or meat mallet, flatten each cut portion of pork into 1/8" thickness being careful not to tear it. Season each cutlet with salt and pepper.

-In three shallow dishes, place the seasoned flour in one, the egg in another and the panko breadcrumbs in the third.

-Using tongs, dip each piece of flattened pork first into the flour mixture (coating on both sides), then into the eggs (coating on both sides) and then into the panko (making sure to press the crumbs into the pork, and coating on both sides). Place the prepared cutlets onto a platter and chill for at least 1 hour.

-20 minutes before you're ready to fry, remove the schnitzel from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature.

-In a large skillet on medium/high heat, add about 1 1/2 tablespoons of canola oil and fry about 3-4 of the schnitzel at a time until they're golden brown and crispy. Note - The cook time on the schnitzel is only about 1-2 minutes each side because they're so thin so they'll need your undivided attention.

-Continue working in batches to pan fry the schnitzel adding additional oil as you go.

-Arrange the schnitzel on a serving platter and garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.

-Enjoy and savor every bite!!!

Pork Schnitzel Recipe

Shhhhhh! Now, don't tell my husband. Sadly, the ONLY reason I'm posting a Green Bay Packers beer stein here is because I don't have a painted Chicago Bears beer stein to show you at this time and beer and schnitzel just seem to go hand and hand. What can I say? I may have to take a penalty for this one :)

Green Bay Packers Beer Stein

Along with my cooking and baking, I specialize in creating hand painted glassware and tile items. I can work from any photo or description you send my way. Please contact me if I can paint something for you!

                                  Kudos Kitchen By Renee ~ Where food and art collide on a regular basis!!!

Until we eat again!
ReneƩ

I'm happily linking up to the following parties: Gingersnap Crafts - WOW Me Wednesday
                                                                     Lady Behind The Curtain - Cast Party Wednesday
                                                                     Smart Schoolhouse - Whimsy Wednesday
                                                                     Creations By Kara - Look What I Made
                                                                     Handyman, Crafty Woman - Wicked Awesome Wed.
                                                                     The DIY Dreamer - From Dream To Reality
                                                                     Sweet Bella Roos - Pin It Thursday
                                                                     A Glimpse Inside - Catch A Glimpse Thursday
                                                                     Fireflies And Jellybeans - Show Off Your Stuff
                                                                     Angels Homestead - Saturday Spotlight
                                                                     The Chicken Chick - Clever Chicks Blog Hop
THANK YOU FOR HOSTING THE PARTIES LADIES!  HOPE YOU HAVE A LOVELY DAY!!



Labels: , , , , , , ,