Blueberry Sausage Casserole

Blueberry Sausage Casserole Recipe

If you love pancakes with a side of sausage, do I have a wonderful recipe for you!

This casserole tastes just like a big stack of pancakes and makes a terrific weekend breakfast or weeknight dinner. I don't know of anyone that doesn't enjoy breakfast for dinner and it makes any random weeknight a little bit special. This casserole is sweet, savory and comforting all at the same time.

If you do choose to have this casserole as a breakfast for dinner meal, might I suggest you and your family put on your most comfy PJ's (no matter the time) in order to indulge in this casserole and relax after a long, hard day... Go on, you know you want to :)

I adapted this recipe slightly from the cookbook: "At My Grandmother's Table" by Faye Porter and chose not to make her blueberry sauce to top off the casserole but instead used maple syrup. To me the maple syrup lends more to the pancake flavor of this dish.

Serves 8-10        Prep time: approximately 15 minutes     Bake time: 40 minutes

1 stick butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
1 pound pork breakfast sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 cup chopped walnuts
Maple syrup

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees

-In a large bowl beat the butter and sugars until fluffy.

-Beat the eggs into the butter mixture, one at a time.

-In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

-Alternately Add the flour mixture and Greek yogurt into the butter mixture, beating after each addition.

-Using a wooden spoon or spatula, gently fold in the blueberries and breakfast sausage.

-Spoon the batter evenly into a 9x13 casserole dish that you've sprayed with cooking spray.

-Sprinkle the top of the batter evenly with the chopped walnuts before baking.

-Bake the casserole for approximately 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

-Cool for 10 minutes (while you go put on your PJ's) and cut into squares.

-Serve with plenty of maple syrup and enjoy!

If you're a regular visitor to my blog you'll notice that, over the past few months, I've been trying to creatively incorporate my painted glassware and tiles into my food posts in order to introduce you to my work. This recipe for Blueberry Sausage Casserole had me remember back to a set of custom coffee mugs I did for a customer a couple of years ago. The client specifically asked me to add blueberry bushes to the design so naturally I think they're a good fit here (and, awfully cute if I do say so myself)! LOL

Custom Painted coffee mugs

                             Kudos Kitchen By ReneĆ© ~ Where food and art collide on a regular basis!

Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , , , , ,