Banana Poppy Seed Cake With Banana Buttercream Frosting

Banana Cake with Banana Buttercream Frosting Recipe

I don't bake many cakes, layer or otherwise, because I find them too intimidating and a huge sugar commitment if there is not a lot of other people to share them with, and a big reason to celebrate.

When my kids were little I always baked and decorated their birthday cakes. However, I hardly ever made them from scratch, or for reasons other than a birthday celebration. Back in the day, Betty Crocker and Duncan Heinz were two of my closest friends!

Over the past few years, I've been seeing the most elaborately decorated cakes all over the internet. Some of them literally make my jaw drop open in awe and amazement!! There are truly some wonderfully talented bakers and sugar artists in the world, and they inspire me each and every time I see their amazing creations.

I made this cake for my husband and my very best friend's anniversary, and the results were very, very tasty. I remembered from years ago that they both used to enjoy the Sara Lee banana cake that could be bought in the freezer case at the grocery store.  I wanted to try and mimic how I remember that cake tasted, and I think I hit the nail pretty squarely on the head.

This is my first attempt at a homemade layer cake in many, many years. I did not want to bite off more than I could chew, so I kept it pretty simple.  By adding some chopped macadamia nuts to the outside of the cake, they added a little extra pizzazz to the looks of the cake (not to mention a wonderfully crunchy and buttery flavor), all without having to break out those pesky and intimidating piping bags and tips. I'm taking baby steps :)

The recipe I started with, for both the cake and the frosting, came from the cookbook "At My Grandmother's Table" by Faye Porter.  I adapted it slightly (as seen from my notes on that page). One, because I can never resist the urge to play and make a recipe my own, and two, because I'm not at all good at following directions. LOL

Oops, I just noticed as I was writing this post that there are several adjustments that I made to this recipe that I forgot to write in the book.  Please pay no real attention to the photo of the cookbook recipe itself. I just wanted to show my process I go through when I cook from cookbooks. It is not always pretty, but it helps me when I plan on sharing a recipe.  Sometimes I just get ahead of myself I guess :)


For the cake:

4 large overripe, peeled bananas 
*Note ~ I like to freeze mine (peels on) when they are past their prime. This way I always have overripe bananas on hand for baking.
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 large eggs
1 stick of butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
2 ~ 8" round cake pans that have prepared with baking spray

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients except the butter and blend well.
-Pour in the melted butter and stir to combine.
-Pour the batter evenly into the two prepared cake pans.
-Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of each cake comes out clean.
-Cool the cakes on a wire rack in the pans for approximately 30 minutes.
-Turn the cakes out of the pans and allow to cool completely.
-Once cooled, place the cakes in the fridge to chill.
*Note ~  lightly spray some parchment paper with baking spray and place the paper between the two cakes. This will keep the cakes from sticking together and from sticking to the parchment paper itself.

For the frosting:
1 1/2 pounds of powdered sugar
3 overripe bananas, peeled (see above note)
1 stick butter, softened to room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chopped macadamia nuts

-Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer on very low speed (or pulse in a stand mixer) until the ingredients come together. *Note ~ This pulsing or slow mixing will prevent the powdered sugar from flying everywhere in your kitchen.
-Once the ingredients come together, turn the speed to high and blend until the frosting becomes a smooth and spreadable consistency.

To frost the cake:
-Once cooled, remove the cakes from the fridge and place one of the discs on a platter or cake stand of your choice.
-Using an offset spatula (or large butter knife) place approximately 1 cup of the frosting on the top of the cake layer and spread the frosting evenly around the cake top.
-Place the second cake round directly on top of the iced round and frost that layer with approximately 2/3 cup of the frosting.
- When frosting the sides of the cake, an offset spatula works best when placing a thin layer of icing around the sides of the cake. 
*Note ~ This first layer of thin frosting is the "crumb coat" and it will prevent crumbs from coming off the cake and mixing in with your beautiful frosting. Make sure when icing your cake with the crumb coat that you work the frosting in only one direction. This will additionally help the cake stay intact without crumbs forming in the frosting.
-Place the crumb coated cake in the fridge for approximately 30 minutes to set.
-You can now slather frosting liberally on the top and sides of your crumb coated cake.
*Note ~ Any leftover frosting can be frozen and used at a later date for cupcakes or cinnamon rolls. YUM!
-Once the cake is completely iced place some of the chopped macadamia nuts in your cupped fingertips and gently press the nuts onto the iced sides.
-Continue placing the nuts around the entire cake.

Now go grab yourself a nice cup of coffee and a big slice of cake! It's time to relax :)

Banana Cake With Banana Buttercream Frosting Recipe

Love to bake painted coffee mug

                          Kudos Kitchen By Renee ~ Where food and art collide on a regular basis!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,