Almond Ricotta Mini-Muffins With Blueberries And Lemon

Almond Ricotta Muffins Recipe

With so many people suffering from gluten intolerance, I wanted to do my best to come up with a recipe that would substitute almond flour for all-purpose flour. I had hoped that I could create something delicious and wheat free for my readers with wheat allergies.

The result I ultimately came up with was something that is very LOW in gluten (see below what happened without the all purpose flour). It's not quite what I was striving for as far as ingredients (more research and development is required), but as far as taste I hit it out of the park. As time goes on, I'll try my best to occasionally bring you TRUE gluten-free recipes, but in the meantime, I hope you'll enjoy this recipe.

The almond flavor these mini-muffins deliver is sweet and nutty and the ricotta cheese gives a creamy depth and smoothness of flavor that you'll truly enjoy. Add to that some fresh organic blueberries and freshly grated lemon zest and you'll be popping these little babies in your mouth one after the other.

Yield: 24 mini-muffins   {PRINT THIS RECIPE}

2 1/2 cups textured almond flour (store bought or homemade. See below for homemade instructions).
3/4 cup all purpose flour (see below what happened before I added this ingredient)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
1/3 cup half and half
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 pint organic blueberries
2 mini-muffin tins
24 mini-muffin cups
1 baking sheet

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-To make your own textured almond flour, add 3 cups of blanched, raw almonds (whole or slivered) into a food processor and process until completely pulverized (this will take several minutes) and similar in texture to sand. *Note - to process even further (into a powder), keep processing and occasionally run the mixture through a sieve, returning the larger pieces back into the processor to grind even further.
-If using store bought almond flour, measure out 2 1/2 cups and place in a large bowl.
-In the large bowl with the almond flour, add the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, lemon zest and poppy seeds. Whisk all the ingredients together.
-In a medium size bowl, mix the egg, vanilla and almond extracts, butter, half and half and lemon juice.
-Using a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
-Add in the ricotta cheese and stir until just combined.
-Gently fold in the blueberries being careful not to stir too hard and break them up, which will cause the batter to turn blue.
-Using a teaspoon or melon baller, carefully spoon the batter into the mini-muffin cups.
-Top each muffin with a light dusting of the remaining textured almond flour (optional).
-Place two mini-muffin tins on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
-Remove from the oven and cool a few moments on a wire rack.
-Remove the muffins from the tins and continue to cool on the wire rack.
-Repeat with the remaining batter.

Here is the result of the first batch of mini-muffins I made before I added the all-purpose flour. Ugh! Not exactly what I had hoped for:

Here are the same muffin ingredients, only this time with the addition of the all-purpose flour. Much prettier, I do have to say:

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this recipe. If you have any tips and tricks I can use going forward with making gluten free items, please do share. I know I need a lot of help in this area and odds are some of my readers will also benefit from what you have to say.  Thanks in advance :)

Ecclesiastes Painted Ceramic Tile

                            Kudos Kitchen By Renee ~ Where food and art collide on a regular basis!

Until we bake again,

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,