Cilantro Pesto

Cilantro Pesto Recipe

Having an abundance of brilliant green cilantro in my garden this year, I've decided to make some pesto. The smell is intoxicating and I can hardly wait to use it on chicken, fish and maybe even some flank steak.


3 bunches cilantro, washed and dried
4-5 cloves peeled garlic
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup grape seed oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

-Add all the cilantro into the food processor along with the olive oil.
-Pulse until it becomes a firm, broken down paste.
-Add the garlic cloves, salt and pepper and enough of the grape seed oil and pulse to get a pesto with a loose (but not runny) consistency. You may or may not use the entire 1/8 cup of grape seed oil.  It's depends on your personal preference of consistency. I like mine to have a mayonnaise thickness.
-Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Without having a firm plan in mind of how I'm going to use this pesto, I kept the ingredient list pretty simple. If you like, I think it would also be a great idea to add in some lemon and/or lime zest to really play up the citrus flavors of the cilantro itself.

I know that there are two camps out there in the world ~ cilantro lovers and cilantro haters. I happen to be a cilantro lover and I'm here to spread the cilantro love people...on fish, chicken, beef and whatever else I can think of.

Until we eat again!

Labels: , , , , , , ,