Barn Dance Bean Dip

Barn Dance Bean Dip Recipe

Back in March of this year my twin brother Bob and his wife Pam hosted a Country-Western themed party where they turned their garage into a big 'ol barn, complete with hay on the floor, decorative white lights strung along the ceiling and a roulette wheel shot station, just to name a few of the fabulous decor items they surprised us all with.

It was a wonderfully raucous evening and Bob and Pam even got a fun young couple to come and teach us all some country line dancing. YEEHAW!  The line dancing may not have been the prettiest thing you've ever seen but it certainly was a lot of fun and a nice way to liven up an otherwise boring winter evening.

This recipe comes from my son Adam's girlfriend, Karen. She brought this dip to the barn dance that night and it was an immediate hit with all who tried it. Karen was kind enough to share her recipe with me and I asked her permission to one day share it on my blog. She said, sure thing pardner :)

Here is the recipe I adapted from Karen with a few little additions I made of my own (like the name for instance).  Karen had called it Calico Baked Beans but truth be told, I already have another recipe on my blog for Calico Beans so I needed to mix this one up a bit, and Barn Dance Bean Dip really fit the bill!



BARN DANCE BEAN DIP         {PRINT THIS RECIPE}


1/2 pound bacon cut into pieces, browned, drained and crumbled
1 pound ground beef browned
1 onion, medium diced and browned
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 small can baked beans (your choice of variety and flavor)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon roasted ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 cup molasses
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup

-In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, combine all the ingredients and simmer on the stove for roughly an hour, stirring occasionally.
-Serve warm or at room temperature with corn or tortilla chips.



Just for a little kicks and giggles, here are a few photos from that evening's Country-Western party:
Too bad I took them all on my phone so I'm not able to enlarge them without completely distorting them.
Believe me when I tell you that my family is distorted enough without any extra help from me! MUAH.

Here is my sister Honey and her husband Bart. HAHA! Not really, it's Lynn and Jim!



My dad and mom, Roy and Dale. Nope. Kidding. It's Bob and Marlene (with the Trigger twins).



My brother, his wife, my niece and her husband. Tex, Molly, Belle and Hoss. 
Or is that Bob, Pam, Stacey and Billy?



My son Little Joe and his girlfriend Daisy Mae. Well, it may really be Adam and Karen!



And last, but certainly not least, my husband Chief Running With Scissors and me, Cookie. No wait. You know me by now, right? It's me and Mark!



I hope you've had a good time at the party and had your fill of Barn Dance Bean Dip too.

Ya'll come back now ya'hear?



Until we chow down again,
Giddy up lil' doggies!









Labels: , , , , , , , , ,