Corn Bread Crackers

Corn Bread Crackers Recipe

I've always wanted to make my own crackers so yesterday I did just that.  And can I tell you, they were a SNAP to make!!! Ha. Get it? Snap?

Oh well. Maybe my humor needs some adjustment but my crackers don't. I found them totally delicious and crunchy! However I suppose my cutting skills could use some work to make them all uniform and pretty. Next time.

The ingredients for making these crackers are few an simple. I happened to have some home ground cornmeal that I had made a few weeks back in my Vita-mix blender from some un-popped popcorn.

To be completely honest, the texture of the crackers using my homemade cornmeal wasn't something my husband was too fond of. They were grainier and coarser than they would have been using store bought cornmeal. For me, I loved the extra texture my cornmeal provided. Next time I make them, I'll use store bought cornmeal in order to make him happy. He loved the flavor, just not so much the extra "chew".
My suggestion to you, use what you have on hand. If you have a Vita-mix...go for it. Make your own. It's completely fun and easy to do and the flavor is far superior to what you can buy in the store (IMO).

CORN BREAD CRACKERS      {PRINT THIS RECIPE}


1 cup of yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup all purpose flour, plus more for rolling
1 teaspoon baking powder
5 teaspoons Stevia or granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into chunks
1/4 cup buttermilk  OR *see below how to make your own using 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice*
                           
-Measure out 1/4 cup of buttermilk OR if you want to make your own buttermilk measure out 1/4 cup regular low fat or whole milk and squeeze in 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice. Allow the milk to sit for about 5 minutes and viola, BUTTERMILK. Set aside.
-In a food processor, add the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, Stevia, salt, paprika and the cayenne pepper.
-Pulse until blended.
-Add in the butter chunks and pulse again until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
-Pour in the buttermilk and pulse until the dough just comes together and forms a lose ball in the processor.
-Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into a smooth ball.
-Divide the dough in half and form each half into a small rectangle that is about 1" thick.
-Wrap each rectangle with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. (You can even make this dough a day in advance and keep it in the fridge until you're ready to roll.)
-Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
-Prepare two sheet pans by lining them with parchment paper.
-Roll out each rectangle to form a larger rectangle that is approximately 1/8" thick.
-Using a pastry wheel or pizza cutter cut the dough into desired sizes and shapes.
-Place the crackers on the baking sheets and bake for approximately 15 minutes, rotating the cookie sheets half way through the baking process.
-Take the sheets out of the oven, flip the crackers over and continue baking for an additional 3-4 minutes to slightly brown on both sides.
-Allow to cool and serve with a dipper (or cocktail) of your choice.










I'm looking forward to snacking on these out by the pool this summer maybe with some guacamole and Margaritas. NOW we're talkin'!!!




Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,