Focaccia Muffins

Focaccia Muffin Recipe

Since I found this recipe for Focaccia Muffins in one of my favorite cookbooks for lower-fat, lower-calorie cooking called "Eat More Of What You Love" by Marlene Koch I've made them several times. Each time I've made them I'm blown away by their taste, texture and the flavor versatility of these little gems.
The first time I made these focaccia muffins I added dried basil and some oregano into the batter as the recipe called for. The second time I made them I went with some chopped fresh rosemary and garlic which completely changed the flavor profile but not the essential essence of the muffins themselves.

I think the next time I make them I'll add maybe add some chives and or dill. Or maybe thyme or sage. Or maybe...(you get the idea).  This recipe is so no-fail and fun to play with that you're only limited by your imagination. Plus with the warmer weather coming and the plethora of fresh garden herbs at your fingertips ready for picking, now is the time to get busy making these muffins. I promise you'll love them as much as we do. They ROCK!!!

FOCACCIA MUFFINS       {PRINT THIS RECIPE}
150 Calories per muffin - Makes 12

3 tablespoons dried, minced onion
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
2 tablespoons oil (olive, canola, grape seed, your call)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar (I used Stevia)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 - 2 tablespoons of your favorite chopped fresh herb OR
1 - 2 teaspoons f your favorite dried herb
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (plus 1 tablespoon for topping)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

-Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
-In a medium size bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, olive oil, minced onions and garlic. Set aside.
-In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, garlic powder, baking soda, baking powder, herbs of choice, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
-Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and add the egg mixture into the center of the well.
-Using a large spoon, stir the batter until the ingredients just come together.
-Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tins, filling each to two-thirds full.
-Sprinkle each muffin top with a little of the remaining Parmesan cheese.
-Bake the muffins for 18-20 minutes of until lightly browned.
-Cool a few minutes and serve warm.
-Yummy!




You'll simply love the texture of these muffins. So much in fact that you might as well make a double batch because they'll go fast! Plus the leftovers are good for making some mini-sandwiches or even mini pizza crusts when cut in half.

Excuse me but I'm off to the kitchen now to bake some more :)

Until we eat again!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,