Chinese Almond Cookies

Chinese Almond Cookie Recipe

This coming Saturday, my husband and I are hosting a themed party for my family and we're taking them all to China.

Since my mom and dad have moved back from Florida to be closer to family, my siblings and I have decided that for the next three months (to alleviate the Winter doldrums) we will all take turns choosing a theme night and throwing a dinner party.

We're up first.

After giving it a good deal of thought, we've chosen "A Trip To China" to be our theme. Not because we've ever been there (I wish), but because we really love the food!! Isn't a good party all about the food anyway?

Since we first started planning (right before Christmas 2012), this party has kind of taken on a life of its own.  Don't ever let it be said that I'm one to skimp on the details.  If anything I go a little crazy with all the planning and decorations. What I'm really trying to say here is that I tend to go more than a little overboard! Somebody better throw me a life vest because I'm in deep ;)

I wish I could share more of the party details here with you now but I don't want to let the cat entirely out of the bag just yet.  I plan on sharing much more with you next week after all is said-and-done so I hope that you'll come back then to see exactly how the party turned out, the food that was served and to see all the party decorations and accents that (hopefully) transported us all to China for one special and memorable evening.

The one recipe I do want to share with you now is this wonderful recipe I found for Chinese Almond Cookies.  They're so, so yummy and will be a nice addition to our Chinese feast.  In addition, you may want to make them for yourself to help ring in the Chinese New Year, which falls on Sunday February 10, 2013.


CHINESE ALMOND COOKIES     {PRINT THIS RECIPE}

2 sticks butter, softened slightly
2 1/2 cups flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
3 teaspoons almond extract
60 whole almonds
additional sugar for sprinkling (if desired)

-In a large bowl, add the sifted flour, baking soda, salt and sugar.
-Add the butter and, using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut the butter into the flour to resemble course sand.
-Add the beaten egg and the almond extract and mix with a wooden spoon (or hands) until the dough comes together and all the ingredients have been nicely incorporated .
-Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
-Shape the dough into 1 1/2" balls and space them out onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
-Flatten each ball using the bottom of a glass or measuring cup (spraying with oil to help  will with sticking).
-Press an almond into the center of each cookie and sprinkle the tops with a light bit of sugar.
-Bake for approximately 12-15 minutes or until the cookies are just starting to turn slightly brown. (If you prefer a darker brown cookie, allow your cookies to continue baking for an additional few minutes but be aware that this will make them even crispier).










 
If you make these cookies, I can almost guarantee you good fortune and prosperity! Well, I can at least guarantee you that you'll love how they taste and how simple they are to make.

Remember this:
"He who bakes almond cookies, has a lovely smelling home and happy taste buds." ~ Confucius  ReneĆ©


If you're still with me, here are a few other items I'd like to share with you. I painted these tumblers and wine glasses for the party and think they'll be a really fun addition to the red and black table decor. See what I mean? It's all about the details :)




Chinese Symbol Painted Glassware


Shhhh. Don't tell my family that you saw these, OK? I want them to be surprised. Funny thing, I think I'm fairly safe in posting them here because I really don't think any of them visit my blog anyway. haha!

Kudos Kitchen By ReneƩ ~ Where food and art collide on a regular basis!

Until we eat again,









Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,