Gingersnap Cookies

Homemade Gingersnap Cookie Recipe

When I was assigned to Angel's Homestead this month for November's Secret Recipe Club, I immediately glommed onto April's recipe for Gingersnap cookies.

You see, I've been planning on making my sauerbraten recipe and it calls for gingersnap cookies to make the lovely and thick, pungent gravy.  Nothing else matches the flavor of that gravy and I thought that the addition of my own homemade gingersnaps would really take it one step closer to heaven.

April's recipe is SUPER FANTASTIC! So much so that I even stole here cute little idea of tying up a neat little stack of cookies with a red bow for the "beauty shot".

The only thing I did change in April's original recipe was that I added a pinch of fresh Nutmeg into the mix.  It seems I can't do any holiday baking without adding a little pinch of one of my favorite spices! I even named one of our dogs Nutmeg because I love it so much.  I'll give you a quick peek at her before we go on to the recipe. LOL

Funny Brown and White Boston Terrier Nutmeg

We also call her "sausage" and I think you can see why...Funny how everything in my life revolves around food...but I digress....back to the cookies...

GINGERSNAP COOKIES       {PRINT THIS RECIPE}

(makes approximately 30 cookies)
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar (plus more for garnish, optional)
1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg

-In the bowl of a stand mixer, or a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
-Add the molasses, egg and vanilla. Blend.
-In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg.
-Add the flour mixture into the butter mixture, in small batches, until all is incorporated.
-Chill the dough at least 30 minutes before moving onto the the next steps.
-Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
-Once chilled, roll the dough into golf ball sized pieces and then roll them in some additional sugar to coat each ball.  **Note - If you're using the cookies for sauerbraten, omit this step**  I did half and half.
-Place the cookie balls evenly onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
-Bake for approximately 15-17 minutes (slightly less if you like your cookies a little softer), until they've flattened considerably and are crispy in texture (hence the word ginger"snap").
-Cook on a baking rack.

Homemade Gingersnap Cookie Recipe

 For dipping, I just used some Cool Whip and a little red and greed sanding sugar to make it pretty.
I also used some canned pumpkin mixed with some Cool Whip and a little brown sugar (not shown) to make a dipper that we used one night for company.

These cookies certainly do not need the addition of a "dipper" as their flavor can certainly stand on their own. However for something a little different, I thought I'd give it a go.  Think about dipping these cookies in a little Nutella too...Now THAT would be completely over the top delicious!!!

Thanks for your recipe April! I really, really enjoyed it and can't wait to use the cookies I saved and froze in my sauerbraten recipe!

I also really enjoyed working with you for the special giveaway prize to celebrate Secret Recipe Club's 5000th fan on facebook.  I was thrilled to be asked to design something special to commemorate this huge milestone and to celebrate the love we all have for baking.

Christmas Baking Painted Wine Glass

And now, sit back and relax and remember these words this holiday season...

Keep Calm And Eat Cookies Cookie Jar

Until we eat again, thanks for visiting my Kudos Kitchen!!!



I'm excited to be linking up the post to FOOD ON FRIDAY, CHRISTMAS EDITION. Thanks Carole!








Labels: , , , , , , , , ,