Pork Filled Egg Rolls

Welcome to yet another addition of The Secret Recipe Club.  Every month a large group of food bloggers gather and are secretly assigned one anothers blogs to peruse and choose a recipe of theirs to make.  It's all very "hush, hush" and secrative...until reveal day that is.  At that point we all get to post our recipes announcing who our assigned blogs were. From there we all join in a giant blog hop to celebrate and commiserate while hopefully making new friends along the way.  It's great fun!!!

This month I was assigned the blog:  Fantastical Sharing Of Recipes  With a name like that, you just know there has to be a welth of good eats to choose from!!!  Sarah is a young mom who's purpose of starting her blog was to share her recipes with the rest of the world.  As she states: "Sharing is Caring" and that's an attitude I can really get behind!  Bravo Sarah!  I was thrilled to have been assigned your blog this month!  The recipe I chose of yours to try my hand at is your:  Chicken Egg Rolls (which, oddly enough you got from another SRC member, Tami of Tami's Kitchen Table Talk)  I guess you could call this recipe a 2-fer then :)

We're HUGE lovers of Chinese cuisine and flavors here in my home.  My aim was to make egg rolls like our favorite Chinese take-out restaurant.  More than anything, Sarah's original recipe was the inspiration I needed to try and make egg rolls at home, even though I added my own twist to the recipe I found on Sarah's blog.  I hope you don't mind Sarah.  I do this will all recipes.  I just can't seem to help myself when it comes to playing with my food :)

Homemade Egg Roll Recipe


PORK FILLED EGG ROLLS      {PRINT THIS RECIPE}

1/2 lb ground pork
3 cloves garlic, grated
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, divided
1 medium carrot, grated
1 tablespoon red onion, grated
2 cups prepared cole slaw mix (cabbage, red and green)
2-3 tablespoons bean sprouts, drained
2-3 tablespoons water chestnuts, chopped
2-3 scallions, sliced
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
Egg Roll Wrappers (found in the produce section of your grocery store)
Peanut Oil for frying

-In a large skillet, over medium high heat, brown the pork until no longer pink.
-Add the garlic, ginger, salt and pepper and reduce the heat to medium.
-Add the carrot, red onion, slaw mix, bean sprouts and water chestnuts.
-Cook the mixture until it's just wilted. Approximtely 5 minutes.
-Add the scallions, soy sauce, rice vinegar and oyster sauce.
-Continue to cook just another minute or two and remove from the heat.
-Allow to cool so the mixture is easy to work with.
-Using one egg roll wrapper at a time, fill with the pork/cabbage mixture, roll up and seal the ends with water.  Sarah has an excellent tutorial for how to do this on her blog
Sorry that I dropped the ball with taking photos of this recipe.  It's not like me, but I was AAH-SO  busy that I just forgot!  (Please forgive my potitically incorrect Chinese humor).
-Continue wrapping and rolling until all the meat mixture us used up.
-In a large, deep sided skillet, heat several inches of the peanut oil for frying.
**Note - You know your peanut oil is ready when you dip the handle of a wooden spoon in the oil and millions of tiny bubbles form off the the spoon handle.**
-Carefully fry a few egg rolls at a time until golden brown, turning to brown all sides.
-Allow your egg rolls to cool slightly and serve.

Homemade Pork Egg Roll Recipe

While my egg rolls were good, they were still lacking 'something' that our favorite Chinese take-out egg rolls have. Maybe it's the msg? Who knows?  Still, for a first time egg roll making experience, I was pretty pleased with how they turned out! 

Thank you very much Sarah (and Tami) for inspiring me to make these in my own home kitchen.  I'll look forward to seeing who has inspired you both this week during the great Secret Recipe Club reveal!

Until we eat again,












Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,