Korean Glazed Cod With Pear Salsa

For this month's Secret Recipe Club (SRC for short) I was paired up with a Korean cooking blog called Koreafornian Cooking "Korean Cooking With Californian Spirit", which is owned and operated by Tammy Quackenbush.  If you haven't yet been to Tammy's site, let me encourage you to do so.  Tammy has a wealth of information on her site not only limited to fabulous Korean recipes. At Koreafornian Cooking, you can find everything from travel, nutrition, culture and cuisine.  A one stop shop :)

At first I was a little intimidated going through Tammy's site looking for recipes I thought I would be successful in recreating.  Having never before cooked (and hardly ever eaten) Korean cuisine, I wasn't very sure about the flavor profiles of all the different ingredients involved.

After awhile, I settled on her recipe for Doenjang-Glazed Cod that she turned into Doenjang-Glazed Fish Tacos With Shingo Pear Salsa.  This recipe seemed like as good a place as any to start my foray into Korean cooking.  Tammy's original recipe called for many ingredients I was familiar with, and some I was not.  After my trip to the grocery store, I was soon anxious to learn and experiment with the tastes of Korea.  Thank you Tammy for the recipe and for helping to make my first Korean "inspired" dish a success.

I changed things up a little from Tammy's original recipe due to my inability in finding some of the specific Korean ingredients and also to accommodate a lower calorie lifestyle we've been trying to adhere to.

I opted to forgo the taco aspect (saving this for another time) and served my glazed cod with the pear salsa simply spooned over top.  A simple side dish of brown rice and peas added the finishing touch to this delicious and colorful Korean "inspired" dinner. (I sincerely doubt it's Korean authenticity after I was finished with it) LOL!

Korean Glazed Cod with Pear Salsa Recipe


PEAR SALSA             {PRINT THIS RECIPE}

2 Pears, chopped (I used Bartlett Pears)
**Tammy's recipe called for Korean Shingo Pears which I could not find**
3-4 teaspoons hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
2-3 teaspoons cilantro paste
2 tablespoons orange bell pepper, diced
2 tablespoons red onion, diced
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons ginger paste
1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

-In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients together and refrigerate until the cod is ready to be served.

KOREAN GLAZED COD

3 pounds Alaskan cod (I made enough for lots of leftovers, you can adjust your quantity as needed)
1 cup Korean fermented soybean paste (I used a brand called ssamjang that I found in the International aisle of the super market)
1/2 cup mirin
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
salt and pepper

-Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
-Lay out the fish on a foil lined baking sheet.
-Season the fillets with salt and pepper.
-In a medium size bowl, whisk the soy bean paste, mirin, lime juice, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, coriander, garlic and cilantro.
-Liberally brush the glaze over the fish fillets.


-Bake the fish for approximately 20-22 minutes or until cooked through and flaky.
-To serve spoon the pear salsa over the top of the glazed fish and enjoy!







There is a subtle sweetness to this glazed fish along with an earthy spiciness that the soybean paste glaze provides. Combine that with the cool and bright flavors of the pear salsa and you have a feast for your taste buds as well as your eyes!

I really enjoyed this dish and so did my husband!  Thanks again Tammy!!!

Until we eat again,












Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,