Pizza Rustica - TWD #bakingwithjulia

I don't bake pies all that often, especially of the savory variety.

It is for that reason that I'm sending out two huge thank yous to our hosts for this weeks TWD recipe: Emily of Capitol Region Dining and Raelynn of A Place They Call Home.  With this recipe being next up on the schedule, I swallowed my fears about pie crusts and boldly tied on my apron.

This delicious recipe for "PIZZA RUSTICA" found here is, in my mind, a cross between a pie, a pizza and lasagna and was easier to make than I anticipated.



As I do, I made a few small additions to the original ingredients for the crust.

To the called for ingredients of flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter and eggs, I tossed in some fresh thyme leaves and some cracked black pepper.





The dough came together quite easily (thanks goodness for food processors) and my confidence level was on it's way up!  Wrapping up my dough for a top and a bottom crust, I placed it in the fridge to cool before I was ready to roll, bake and fill.



A few hours later, I was ready to roll (and fill).


To the original ingredients of ricotta cheese, eggs, mozzarella cheese and black pepper, I made the following few additions and substitutions:  I added some cottage cheese in replacement for 1 cup of the ricotta.  I substituted thick cut bacon for the prosciutto. I added 1 jar of roasted red peppers (chopped), and substituted dried basil and oregano for the parsley.  I also substituted freshly grated Parmesan cheese for the Pecorino Romano.





So far, so good.  Now it was time to make the lattice top and  I was excited and ready to see how this was going to turn out.  It was actually a really, really fun process and one I'm anxious to try again (perhaps on a fruit pie).



A quick egg wash of the crust and we're ready for baking.


Now this will bake in a 375 degree oven for approximately 40 minutes, BUT half way through the process, check on your pie to make sure the outer rim of the crust isn't browning far faster than the middle.  If that happens (and it most likely will), make a quick and loose "cuff" for your crust rim with aluminum foil and continue baking until the pie is uniformly puffed and browned.



You can almost smell it, right?  Mmmmm.

Allow your pie to cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing and serving to insure the most attractive presentation possible (I did not wait as long as I should of, as we were starving and ready for dinner).

I served mine with a side dish of sauteed zucchini, cherry tomatoes and onions and it was seriously tasty!!!



I would totally encourage you to try this recipe and not be intimidated if you think you're not a pro in the pie crust department.  If I can do it...so can you!!!

To see all the other wonderful TWD cooks and bakers versions of their own PIZZA RUSTICA click here and show them some love.

Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,