O'Mygoodness, Green Irish Soda Bread

I'll be the first one to admit that I took this recipe a tad over the edge for St. Patrick's Day.

I turned a perfectly good Irish soda bread into a bright (and possibly unappetizing) color of green, and I did it ON PURPOSE! LOL.

All it took was a few artfully scattered drops of green food coloring into the buttermilk and a simple stir.


The recipe (found on page 214 of Baking with Julia) could not be simpler to make.  In it's original form, it only has 4 ingredients.  Flour, baking soda, salt and buttermilk.  I of course, added the green food color, some minced onion, a pinch of sugar, some onion powder and a dash or two of black pepper.

I'll bet your dying to see how it turned out???  Maybe you'll be green with envy or maybe you'll be green in the gills (or maybe you'll just question my sanity).

Ready???  Here goes...........

Green Irish Soda Bread Recipe


In any case, even though it looked rather odd on our dinner plates along with the corned beef, green peas, green sauteed cabbage and green mashed potatoes (yes, I AM insane, LOL) the flavor was O'Mazing! (Irish humor). The crust was hearty and crunchy and the inside was tender and soft with a lovely texture.

It certainly was a meal that no one with forget anytime soon and I'll bet everyone thought of me the next day too (if you know what I mean).  A good hostess has that effect on people :)

If you'd like to see the actual recipe for this wonderful tasting Irish Soda Bread, you need to go check out our hosts' blog postings for their take on this easy and classic side dish.  A big thank you goes out to Cathy of My Culinary Mission and Carla of Chocolate Moosey for choosing this traditional recipe that I could really have some fun with.

Until we bake again,

Labels: , , , , , , ,