Basic Turkey or Chicken Stock

I don't always have homemade stock on hand, but treat it like gold when I do.

Right now in my freezer, I have one turkey carcass and 1 chicken carcass, all wrapped up just waiting to be made into stock.  I don't know exactly what I'm waiting for because turning these cooked carcasses into stock is one of the easiest things to do.

Here is my simple method for making this "liquid gold".

Homemade Turkey Stock Recipe


TURKEY OR CHICKEN STOCK     {PRINT THIS RECIPE}

1 turkey or chicken carcass that has been previously roasted, with most of the meat removed.
water
1 large onion, cut in half (with skin still on)
3 large carrots, cut into chunks (washed but not peeled)
4-5 ribs celery, cut into chunks (washed with leaves still on)
1 head of garlic, cut in half (skin still on)
4-5 fresh bay leaves
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 tablespoon kosher salt

-In a large stock pot with removable strainer (I like to use my pasta pot), add the carcass, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves and peppercorns.
-Add in enough water to fill the pot and almost cover the ingredients inside.
-Add the salt.
-On medium/low heat, allow the mixture to simmer on the stove top for at least 3-4 hours (longer is better), stirring occasionally.
-When the stock has reduced considerably and the vegetables are all "cooked out" turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
-Slowly and carefully, remove the strainer basket from the stock pot base and discard the contents.
-What you'll be left with is a richly colored (this is the benefit from leaving the peels on the veggies), deeply flavored stock that is either ready to portion off into containers for freezing, or to be used right away as a base for your home made soups.  YUM!!!






Now, stick close because I'll soon be sharing my recipe with you for my chicken noodle soup and you won't want to miss it.  It's delicious!!!  Here is a little sneak preview:

Chicken Stock Recipe

Until we eat again,













Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,